Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Husband living elsewhere 5 days a week - entitled to any benefits?

(39 Posts)
terramum Tue 03-Mar-09 15:29:12

DH has been unemployed since last July. Has a possibility of a job via a mate but it would mean he would have to rent a room near there and come back here on his days off as it's too far to commute. We are tied to this house until June so can't all move near the job until then....but after doing a LOT of number crunching can't see any way we can afford this house and even the cheapest shared house room (with all the bills included), even for a couple of months....let alone save to hire a van & a house deposit for moving sad

Are there any benefits we might be able to get if he's not living at home full time?

LauriefairycakeeatsCupid Tue 03-Mar-09 15:30:11

not if married I don't think

Are you already getting working tax credit, child tax credit?

expatinscotland Tue 03-Mar-09 15:31:15

No.

Other than tax credits.

expatinscotland Tue 03-Mar-09 15:31:17

No.

Other than tax credits.

terramum Tue 03-Mar-09 15:39:20

Yes we get CTC. But no WTC atm as his not working. Can't for life of me work out what the WTC would be, even from the entitled to website.

expatinscotland Tue 03-Mar-09 15:40:58

He needs to be earing around £15,000/pa or less, gross, to qualify for WTC.

Otherwise, it's just CTC and child benefit.

terramum Tue 03-Mar-09 15:48:24

expat is that right? DH was getting a small amount of WTC when he was earning above 15k last year....have they put the limit down then? shock

expatinscotland Tue 03-Mar-09 15:52:57

it's around £15,000 - depends of course on how many kids, if any are disabled, if he is disabled, etc. but the threshhold is obscenely low.

BONKERZ Tue 03-Mar-09 16:08:39

i suppose it depends if you are going to declare you have split up or not!

terramum Tue 03-Mar-09 16:26:30

bonkerz....DH said I should do that....but I am an honest soul & can't bring myself to lie like that grin

aaarrrggghh....this is such a hard decision...and it's one he needs to make now, in case someone applies for the job.

CrackerNut Tue 03-Mar-09 16:28:12

Definatly don't say that you have split up because if he still stays with you for the 2 days a week you'd then get done for benefit fraud.

BONKERZ Tue 03-Mar-09 16:30:33

you can be a lone parent and claim as a lone parent and still have a man stay 3 nights a week, the difference comes if he is obviously still supporting his family etc and benefits can prove that his mail is still delivered there and its still his main address. To claim as a single parent you would have to get him to change his drivers license etc to new address

expatinscotland Tue 03-Mar-09 16:34:20

that's fraud because you haven't really split up, you just did it to get more benefits.

sorry, but i think that's seriously low.

Lulumama Tue 03-Mar-09 16:35:49

really sorry you are in this predicament, is it worth a visit to DSS and/or CAB to find out really what you might be entitled to ? any friends or family who can help a little?

mosschops30 Tue 03-Mar-09 16:38:22

do you work? could you do a few hours somewhere on the weekend to get some extra

Stretch Tue 03-Mar-09 16:39:13

Bonkerz, I'm not sure that's true. I have been told that there's no 'allowed' amount of time a man/partner can stay overnight.

4andnotout Tue 03-Mar-09 16:43:58

When i split with dp brefly a housing officer came round to check i was living alone ( i was)
So it's not worth the risk for a little extra cash.

terramum Tue 03-Mar-09 16:55:52

I might get DH to go to CAB tomorrow & see what they say. Don't expect the Job Centre to be particularly helpful...they haven't been for the last year LOL...but his appt his on Thurs so will get him to see what they say.

I don't work. no. Our DS is HE so I'm a full-time SAHM. I could get a part-time job I guess....although not sure if there are any that don't involve actually talking to people LOL (I have anxiety issues atm)...plus I'm not sure how DS would handle being away from me & DH, especially if DH is away for most of the week. He's only 4 so it's going to be tough on him anyway without increasing the strain....

...the only other option I can see atm is just no paying some bills for a couple of months & then coping with a bit more debt when we all move down there together. Not much different from what we're doing atm anyway as the housing benefit doesn't cover our rent.

[sigh]...why can't life be simple. DH has gone out for a walk to think. His parting words were..."I don't know...you know any decision we make will be the wrong one & we'll regret it in x months time..."

BONKERZ Tue 03-Mar-09 17:40:15

totally agree its fraud and totally agree its completely wrong BUT i do know someone who has just dine this! and yes before anyone says i have also reported it BUT nothing has happened because her DHs main address is his parents where he 'lives'! She had a visit from benefits and they looked around and didnt find his clothes (she has themn in a basket in the airing cupboard!) and they asked for proof of his address so he gave them his bank statement and his driving license which is registered to his mums home! She is still very much with her husband!

CrackerNut Tue 03-Mar-09 17:50:35

Bonkerz, the info you gave further down is incorrect. You cannot have a man to stay even 1 night if you are claiming IS, it is a myth.

BONKERZ Tue 03-Mar-09 17:55:21

im just going by whats been told to me, mainly by my ex friend when she was screaming at me cos i dobbed her in! she has got away with alot then!

CrackerNut Tue 03-Mar-09 17:57:35

The benefits people don't make the point widely known and imo seem to like the fact that people think that they are ok to have someone stay for a couple of nights a week.

I said to them that basically then they were saying that if I met a bloke on a night out and he came home with me and stayed, that I was then comitting benefit fraud and they said yes.
I then said 'so i can't have a life then', and they said 'no not whilst on benefits'.

ChasingSquirrels Tue 03-Mar-09 18:00:07

does that mean you can't bring someone home?????

ChasingSquirrels Tue 03-Mar-09 18:00:48

x-posted shock

CrackerNut Tue 03-Mar-09 18:01:52

Apparently so yes.

I told them they need to make the rules clearer then which they didn't comment on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: