Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does a Housing Association flat have to have double glazing by law?

(11 Posts)
Linnet Fri 15-Apr-05 00:00:29

Someone told me that a Housing Association flat must have double glazing by law. But try as I might I can't find any info to back this up.

Does anyone know if this is true or where I might info on it? I've been trailing google but can't find anything.

Or anything to do with properties being windproof and water tight.

Thanks

Mercedes Fri 15-Apr-05 10:52:39

No they don't. The properties only have to be wind and water tight which doesn't mean double glazing.

In my experience however it would be unusal to find a new HA property built over the last 15 years which hasn't got DG. The planners usually require it as part of heat insultation issues.

You may find that if you live in an old HA property they may put in DG if they do it up. If they got funding from the Housing Corporation they usually ask for DG.

So there's no law - it all depends on the age of the property.

The government has also introduced something called the decent homes standard which councils and HA are to bring their properties up to. This may include DG. I'm not too sure. I can find out for you but it won't be until Monday?

Mercedes Mon 18-Apr-05 20:23:21

Linnet

I've checked the decent homes standard and it doesn't include double glazing. This is still seen as an extra.

motherinferior Mon 18-Apr-05 20:23:59

wotcher merc

nutcracker Mon 18-Apr-05 20:24:56

We have a h/a house and it isn't double glazed. Stupid really cos they are only 10 years old and eventually they will need doing.

cori Mon 18-Apr-05 20:54:07

I dont think so. I work for HA and I know a lot of the properties dont have double glazing.
There might be something in the 'better homes' standards coming in 2008 (I think)

cori Mon 18-Apr-05 20:54:08

I dont think so. I work for HA and I know a lot of the properties dont have double glazing.
There might be something in the 'better homes' standards coming in 2008 (I think)

Linnet Mon 18-Apr-05 21:54:45

Thanks for your help. I did read a report of the decent homes standard. Here is my story incase you're interested, if you're not though feel free not to read
I live in a street of 20 flats some are owned by the housing association some have been bought.

There are 3 buildings that were built in 1928, 20 years ago these were renovated and central heating was put in. Roughly 22/23 years ago new windows were put in that are secondary glazing. They are now very draughty, we freeze in the winter with the draughts coming in, condensation is a nightmare in some properties and the window catches on most of them don't work properly so if you push the window the window catch, which is at the top, just gives way and the window swings open, very dangerous if you're in an upstairs flat with children.

There are also 2 other buildings that were built in 1976, these flats had single glazing until about 4 or 5 years ago when they were all replaced with double glazing.

I'm in one of the older flats and what myself and my neighbours can't understand is why the newer flats were given new windows but we weren't when ours are obviously in need of replacement as well. Someone had mentioned that they had to have DG but as you've pointed out this isn't true.

The Ha have said that windows have a life of 30 years but they replaced the newer flats windows after only 24/25 years. And they are lovely and have proper safety catches that children can't open so much safer than ours.

I guess it's back to the drawing board. We have a lot of issues with the HA as there are lots of things in the street that have been done to some properties and not to others etc and they're full of empty promises.

But thank you all for your help that clears up the question on the windows.

Mercedes Mon 18-Apr-05 23:36:36

Complain. I'm sure you've spoken out over the years but make it formal and take it to the HA management committee. Mistakes do happen and sometimes properties get missed out from renewal programmes. believe me - I've seen it happen.

My childminder complained and used the official complaints porcedure about her windows and ended up with a new boiler, electrics, kitchen and bathroom never mind the windows. She complained to the Housing Ombudsman at the same time to put pressure on the HA. it worked.

Mercedes Mon 18-Apr-05 23:37:48

Hello motherinferior

Linnet Mon 18-Apr-05 23:49:27

I meant to add last time that a residents and tennants association group has been set up and we're in the process of complaining to the big bosses.

The maintenance man has been round along with the chief housing officer to do a walkabout in the street with residents and discuss things. They promised this would happen and that would happen but nothing has.

We're not getting any answers from anyone so were now complaining big time. The HA was investigated by the Scottish Executive, who came round and did survey's on the houses and the report on the HA was not good. Hopefully things will start to get better soon now that they know we mean business.

One thing I did notice about the Decent Homes Standard is that Boilers/heating systems have to be Energy Efficient, well ours isn't we know that for a fact, whenever plumbers have to come out to fix something they always comment on how old our systems are.

Thanks Mercedes, you've been really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now