Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

SICK PAY????

(16 Posts)
stressedmumof1 Thu 14-Apr-05 11:10:50

i was told on monday i had lost my baby at 16 weeks and later told work that i wouldn't be in this week. i delivered my little girl yesterday.i got a phone call today saying because i haven't been given a sick note my boss doesn't think i'll get paid. IS THIS RIGHT? i was told at the hospital i didn't need to be signed off for 7 days. i don't feel ready to go back on monday but am in serious debt (council tax not paid, mortgage can't be paid 2moro, etc) i'm torn on going back or not and basically at my wits end. i need the money but don't feel ready to go back looking after babies all week.
i've got to go out for a bit now but will be back later
thank you to anyone who can offer any sort of advice
ps i'm a single parent and my work is a small business no union, etc so i can't talk to anyone there about it

SaintGeorge Thu 14-Apr-05 11:20:29

You need to send in a self certificate for the first 7 days - as soon as you have been off for 3 days the SSP rules kick in.

I posted on your original thread but will copy and paste to here.

I'm afraid Toothaches post might be slightly misleading re sick pay - there is no statutory obligation to pay full pay whilst off sick, although you should be entitled to SSP. Get that doctors note sorted out asap.

Your basic SSP provision is:
If your average earnings before deductions such as tax and National Insurance (NI) are £82.00 a week or more: Standard rate £68.20

Further info on this site

Re your mortgage etc. Contact the bank asap and explain. They might be able to sort something out, an overdraft if need be. Not ideal, but might see you through. Banks are always more receptive to stuff if you are proactive and speak to them before the problem arises so ring them before the mortgage is due - TODAY.

edodgy Thu 14-Apr-05 11:24:01

shouldnt this come under compassionate leave?

Toothache Thu 14-Apr-05 11:25:14

Stressedmumof1 - regarding your mortgage. I switched my mortgage with Bank of Scotland to a flexible option which allowed to take a payment holiday immediately! I didn't change lenders, just change the type of mortgage I had with BofS, it only took a week or so. Like Saintgeorge said, give them a phone and discuss your options. They might be able to switch you mortgage to one that accomodates payment holidays.

Toothache Thu 14-Apr-05 11:25:41

edodgy - or bereavement leave.

FastasleepTheInsomniac Thu 14-Apr-05 11:28:09

That's what I thought - My DH gets compassionate leave for my DS's hospital appointments, never mind for anything like you've been through! he does work for the council though so it could just be a much better system...

I really think your work's being tactless you don't need this kind of added stress! And expecting you to work with babies !

FastasleepTheInsomniac Thu 14-Apr-05 11:29:11

That's what I thought - My DH gets compassionate leave for my DS's hospital appointments, never mind for anything like you've been through! he does work for the council though so it could just be a much better system...

I really think your work's being tactless you don't need this kind of added stress! And expecting you to work with babies !

FastasleepTheInsomniac Thu 14-Apr-05 11:30:47

Sorry about that! Seems really really slow around here today...nothing's posting quite right!

Nemo1977 Thu 14-Apr-05 11:32:02

hi hun
u do get a self cert for 7 days after that u need a note from the gp. Will be very easy to get it in your circumstances.Due to stress and taking into account your job role and what has happened. I would take the first week and see how you feel and if you need more make an appointment to see your gp.
Also is your mortgage covered by sickness protection? Phone the bank and speak to them.

Toothache Thu 14-Apr-05 11:32:40

Look at your contract SMof1. It should have something there about, sick leave and other forms of special leave. There is something not right here at all!

SaintGeorge Thu 14-Apr-05 11:33:14

Unfortunately again, there is nothing to force the employer to pay for compassionate leave. Big companies usually have good policies in place, sometimes small companies can't afford to.

I agree they are incredibly tactless and cruel if they expect Stressedmum to work or lose pay, but there is nothing to force them to do otherwise.

stressedmumof1 Fri 15-Apr-05 10:42:06

Thank you to everyone. i have arranged an increase in my overdraft to pay the mortgage the other bills will have to wait (i am contacting them to let them know). don't know whether i'm getting paid today or not as i haven't been bothered to phone them and find out - i was still too annoyed by the time they closed last night. thanks again

Toothache Fri 15-Apr-05 10:44:34

At least you have dealt with the immediate problem of your mortgage. Thats a good start. Have you got a copy of your contract from your employer ?

stressedmumof1 Fri 15-Apr-05 11:01:25

i have got a copy and it says that ssp will be paid after 3 'waiting' days and where possible supported by a sick note. i may argue it out with them next week but the way i see it i needed time off and my baby is more important than work. i can see that if they don't pay me it will cause a rift between us though

Toothache Fri 15-Apr-05 11:08:22

That contract says that you will be paid SSP after 3 days off. So they don't have to pay you for the 1st 3 days, but you will get paid SSP after that as long as you have a sickline for the GP. But if you're planning to go back on Monday then this should only apply for 2 days this week.

Not great, but better than nothing I s'pose.

polkadot Fri 15-Apr-05 13:23:38

Sorry to hear your sad news.

Something like this usually comes under sick leave. You should be able to self-cert for the first 7 days and need a GP's cert after that. If work are being tricky then I suggest that you ring your GP's surgery and leave a message asking for a sick cert (you may need to outline what has happened if you are unsure as to whether the hospital has informed your GP yet). I would not expect your GP to demand to see you before he or she issues your cert but they may like to see you in any case just to see how you are.

Usually sick pay is governed by what is in your contract but you will be entitiled to SSP in any case. If any problems with employer etc then CAB will advise you.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now