Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Any Solicitors urgent advice please

(7 Posts)
Slink Mon 11-Apr-05 19:38:40

Sort version:

Sister was in an accident 3-4yrs ago collided with a coach her car went downa ditch her car a right off coach minor scraps none hurt other than her.

Ok so goes to insurence and she found that my dad had not insured her on the car she addmitted to all. Heard nothing, insurence said they would deal with all. She went traveling for 1 yr started to get letters saying she owed £30k to the coach company, and parents said not in the country blah blah. She has got back got a solicitor who is doing nothing said she would try and get a reasonable settlement but done nothing. My sister hasa letter saying 30k by friday or court what to do?????????????????????????????????????????????? her solicitor is away for 2 weeks and appointed none for the case. Thank you

Freckle Mon 11-Apr-05 21:08:08

Have they provided any proof of their losses? £30K sounds an awful lot if the coach merely sustained scratches.

juniperdewdrop Mon 11-Apr-05 21:09:30

my dh is one but I'm wary of giving advice iykwim. (or him giving it) but if you want to CAT me I'll ask him for you.

Slink Tue 12-Apr-05 10:28:11

I have cat you.

I don't know if they have done that but yep 30k is alot of money, plus she is still paying for her car.

Blu Tue 12-Apr-05 10:43:26

Hmmm, horrible situation, Slink. What does your Dad say about it? If she thought she was insured but your Dad hadn't done it? And doubtless costs rose as your Dad kept the solicitors at arm length for a year rather than deal with it then??

Freckle Tue 12-Apr-05 10:58:12

The coach company need to provide proof of their actual losses. Every such company must as a matter of law carry public liability insurance and most would, also, be sensible to have comprehensive insurance. If this is the case, then their actual loss would be restricted to their excess as the law would require them to mitigate their loss in any way available, e.g. by claiming on their own insurance.

What you need to establish is whether it is the coach company seeking £30K or their insurers. Your sister should ask them for proof of their actual losses, what steps they took to mitigate their loss.

Also, whose fault was the accident?

Slink Tue 12-Apr-05 11:22:58

My sisters fault she blacked out she was coming back from a blood test appt.

My dad well he is unfortunatley one of these people who leaves things in the hope that they will disappear.

Thank you,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: