Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Taking action against a garage

(14 Posts)
juneybean Sun 15-Feb-09 13:58:19

Who would I speak to, what would I have to do in order to take action against a garage if I feel they have done something wrong.

Winn Solicitors don't deal with it.

Ivykaty44 Sun 15-Feb-09 14:03:11

try trading standards

MaryBSnowing Sun 15-Feb-09 14:05:53

Or if you want to make a claim, the small claims court?

juneybean Sun 15-Feb-09 14:07:56

I'd like to make a claim, as I was on a busy motorway when I broke down due to their negligence.

MaryBSnowing Sun 15-Feb-09 14:09:26

Try the CAB. Below is their advice on the scc:

www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_rights/legal_system/small_claims.htm

ilovemydogandMrObama Sun 15-Feb-09 14:14:13

If you are a member of RAC or AA, they have legal departments, although they tend to act only when there has been personal injury.

Bit they would at least point you in right direction as far as 'industry standard' and how your mechanic fell below that standard.

Flightattendant27 Sun 15-Feb-09 14:16:29

You would need some evidence that it was their fault iyswim. Was the car repaired by someone different, who would be prepared to stand up and say it was the garage's fault?

juneybean Sun 15-Feb-09 14:20:47

I don't know if I have evidence as such, a service was done on my diesel and as such they replaced the fuel filter, and when I broke down a connection to the fuel filter was loose (which I'm not sure can just 'fall off')

CAB says to write a letter to them first.

Flightattendant27 Sun 15-Feb-09 14:33:13

Yes it depends what you want - an apology and admission of negligence, and of inconvenience/danger caused to you would go a long way if it were me.

Also perhaps a discount on future service.
You might get something like that if you do it the right way and stay on good terms with them.

juneybean Sun 15-Feb-09 14:34:58

Could I possibly reclaim any costs i.e. for my diesel being all over the motorway lol or the fact I had to sign up to an emergency breakdown service?

Flightattendant27 Sun 15-Feb-09 14:37:31

I would think that would go without saying, but the garage might well dispute it so be prepared for legal stuff. You might need to do it through a solicitor iyswim.

Be clear with the garage what you are hoping for, otherwise they might think 'Oh gawd she wants to close us down' and deny everything.

If you say you believe it was their fault and you would be grateful if your costs could be reimbursed, say how much, and so on, they might jsut think 'yeah we'll pay that as long as she goes away!!'

Did you have a good relationship with them prior to this or were you a new customer?

juneybean Sun 15-Feb-09 14:41:02

I was a new customer, they were very nice but obviously I've only been driving a year and the whole thing was a big shock.

I don't want to sound trite but I do feel I've suffered emotionally lol but yeah if they reimburse my costs it would be good I think.

I have drafted a letter, I hope it's ok.

juneybean Sun 15-Feb-09 14:45:36

Keep forgetting to say thank you too, I really appreciate the replies

Flightattendant27 Sun 15-Feb-09 14:47:50

Oh no worries JB smile

I don't know a lot, am not a legal person - but I can undertsand how terrifying it must have been for you and that you'd like some recognition of that.

I hope you get a good response. Maybe run the letter past the CAB first. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now