Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Are benefits..

(16 Posts)
Evesmama Mon 11-Apr-05 08:38:50

taken into account when applying for a mortgage??ie:sick pay, tax credits and child benefit???

Toothache Mon 11-Apr-05 08:41:14

I don't think so, maybe sick pay (from employer?) as that will appear on your P60.
Don't understand why they don't consider every income..... coz they consider EVERY outgoing!

Evesmama Mon 11-Apr-05 08:44:13

no its long term sick(employer finished me when on maternity leave!!)

Toothache Mon 11-Apr-05 08:45:23

Evesmama!!! [shcok] Fuming on your behalf.

Do you have grounds for a court case???

Toothache Mon 11-Apr-05 08:45:50

Oops.... meant to say:

Evesmama Mon 11-Apr-05 08:50:21

big sigh!!!!

they were such a shit run company, they wouldnt answer my calls, wouldnt get in touch at all to let me know when i could go back and then shop closed down because of flood and never reopend!, and they still didnt bother contacting me!
took it to citizens advice and they were rubbish, so ended up getting two months wages, minus a month they already paid me before i took up case
on the flip side, when they opend thier new shop, that went under cos the sponsor withdrew thier funding as they were so underhand and sneaky(doing stuff they shouldnt!)

Toothache Mon 11-Apr-05 08:55:49

Evesmama - Doesn't help with your finances, but Hee hee heee... you must've felt a bit smug when they folded!?

Sorry I can't really help with your mortgage query. Hope someone can offer some advice.

nailpolish Mon 11-Apr-05 08:59:46

evesmama, me and dh have just applied for our mortgage and we were asked for our last 3 mths bank statements and pay cheques, so i suppose if your bank balance statement is healthy, and includes all the outgoings and incomings, no matter what they are they will be taken into account

hth

Evesmama Mon 11-Apr-05 09:01:00

toothache

Nailpolish, thanks for that, think i might have to speak to mortgage adviser or someone???

Toothache Mon 11-Apr-05 09:02:14

Really NP???

I want to apply for a bigger mortgage, but DH has terrible credit. His wages go into my bank account though!!! Does that mean I could still get a mortgage amount that considers his earnings.... without actually having them run a credit check on him? I mean if it was just me applying and they looked at the income on my account it looks like I earn a LOT more than I actually do.

Ooops, sorry Evesmama... maybe I should start another thread about this. It's just got me thinking....

nailpolish Mon 11-Apr-05 09:02:36

there are places such as the Mortgage Advisory Centre, that are free, and they do EVERYTHING for you, i used one for my first mortgage and they were fab.

or a mortgage person for a company is free, although they are biased

nailpolish Mon 11-Apr-05 09:04:04

toothache, we just used dh to apply for the mortgage, as i dont have a steady income, and so it didnt matter about me (except for the insurance stuff)

Toothache Mon 11-Apr-05 09:05:36

NP - Did they run a credit check on you. The current mortgage we have is my name, in fact EVERYTHING is in my name. Could I declare my income correctly, then decalre DH's income as something else?

nailpolish Mon 11-Apr-05 09:09:40

i think they asked me if i had a credit card, but then i remember her saying 'oh it doesnt matter about you' and i didnt tell her i had a million store cards, they never mentioned it so they obviously couldnt have run a check

dh is perfect and has a credit card but with nothing on it

could you not explain the money that goes into your account (dh's wages) as money he gives you each mth? or just say he doesnt have his own bank acc. (if they even ask)

me and dh have seperate accounts and a joint one, we gave them the statements of the joint one and dh's own one, mine wasnt even asked for (cos we didnt tell them i had another one of my own, thats well in the red btw)

Evesmama Mon 11-Apr-05 09:11:22

we got this house on dp's wage, but want to live somewere nicer and could do that if they take my benefits into account and then, once i get myself well and start working, they wont be a problem???
really hope we can?

nailpolish Mon 11-Apr-05 09:12:35

evesmama, income is income surely

go and see a Mortgage Advisory Centre - its free anyway

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: