Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tenancy agreement due for renewal but heard nothing yet

(11 Posts)
solidgoldbullet4myvalentine Sat 31-Jan-09 10:17:21

The tenancy ends in March, normally I would have heard by now whether it's going to be renewed or if they are going to put the rent up, but have heard nothing.
I suspect they are not going to renew, but I would prefer not to have to move. WHich is better: nag the letting agent about giving me notice or renewing, or staying quiet?

AnarchyAunt Sat 31-Jan-09 10:26:10

Hmmm. We are usually in this situation at this time of year but as I am taking the landlady to court for disrepair, and the agent to court for doing god-knows-what with my deposit, I kinda know its not going to be renewed!

I think they must give you two months notice if they want you to move out, even if it is the end of a tenancy. I'd probably keep quiet for a bit longer, and then ask if it gets to a couple of weeks before and you have still not heard. Try looking at whatShelter say on it.

And where is your deposit? If it is not in a Govt approved protection scheme then it makes it a lot harder for them to get you out as they can't use the usual procedure.

LIZS Sat 31-Jan-09 10:26:57

If you don't hear anything and it is an Assured Shorthold agreement, the same terms and conditions just continue past the deadline of the original one. It is usually with 2 months's notice, unless otherwise specified, on landlord side, so you should be ok.

solidgoldbullet4myvalentine Sat 31-Jan-09 13:12:49

Yes it's an assured shorthold. But we have been here 4 years and every year it has been renewed and I have had to sign a new form etc. It id 2 months notice if they want me to leave so I suppose the longer I stay quiet the longer I will be able to not move...

kormachameleon Sat 31-Jan-09 13:20:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotPlayingAnyMore Sat 31-Jan-09 14:09:18

SGB4MV - what date in March does your tenancy end?

Is there any other reason than the silence which makes you suspect they won't renew?
I wouldn't even mention a notice to them as letting agents tend to have a nasty habit of not telling a landlord the full story in my experience, which is also why I keep everything in writing or e-mails.

I think if wanting to stay would affect whatever their decision is, they'd have probably consulted you themselves by now, so staying quiet is probably going to give you at least a little more time to consider your options if the worst happens.

Can sympathise - I remember the waiting game all too well Hope it works out for you

solidgoldbullet4myvalentine Sat 31-Jan-09 14:36:30

March 18th. Basically I have sometimes been a day or two late with the rent (never more than a day or two) as my income is made up from different sources and one source, a publishing house, is a terrible payer - every month it takes about 2 weeks of phone calls (having to call about 3 times a day, it's pointless leaving messages as calls are never returned) and the payment will be between 1 and 3 weeks late.
My friends say that the landlord would be daft to get rid of a tenant who is a couple of days late with the rent sometimes in the current climate as the next tenant might be a lot worse...

AnarchyAunt Sat 31-Jan-09 15:53:03

Mine ends March 20th, and in the three years I've been here its always been mid-Feb when the agent has called to discuss renewal.

If they wanted you out March 18th they'd have had to say so by Jan 18th, as I understand it.

Its a horrible waiting game, it really is.

NotPlayingAnyMore Sat 31-Jan-09 16:04:48

They're right: you're never so late with the rent that notice has been served and a court would take payment delay into account anyway, particularly in this climate, so the agent shouldn't bother with that.
Plus, if you read your tenancy agreement, there have to be very specific reasons for serving notice.

Either way, it's likely to end on a tenancy period, which they've missed serving notice on for this month, so the ending date at the moment should be no earlier than the 18th of April.

AnarchyAunt Sat 31-Jan-09 16:09:42

And please do check where your deposit is if you don't know already - they cannot serve a Section 21 notice if it is not in a protection scheme. (Section 21 is the standard notice-only grounds for getting you out)

tumtumtetum Sat 31-Jan-09 16:13:28

No harm in ringing the agency to see what's going on.

Have a look at the agreement - the ones I use have a clause which says if a new one isn't signed the old one just rolls on. So notice periods etc would be the same, just as korma says.

Try not to worry too much. Check your last agreement out it may well give you some peace of mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now