Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Need help with tax return-any knowledgable people about?

(26 Posts)
Flier Fri 30-Jan-09 14:29:21

It is regarding company car allowances/P11D's etc

OneLieIn Fri 30-Jan-09 14:34:28

A little bit. What do you need flier?

ChasingSquirrels Fri 30-Jan-09 14:35:39

ask the question, that way you are more likely to get the answers

Flier Fri 30-Jan-09 14:38:04

I'm in a panic.
DH gets car allowance (6640) this is on his P11d. I have just input all details in the tax return and I am told we owe thousands.
This is because the total pay from his P60 has been added to the £6640 and the tax (basically) calculated from the 2 figures added together when it should just be teh figure from his P60.
Is it ok to deduct the £6640 from his pay on the P60? Or what shoudl I do?
does this make sense? sorry like I said i'm panicking- know I should have done this ages ago!

Flier Fri 30-Jan-09 14:38:33

thanks for that squirrels

OneLieIn Fri 30-Jan-09 14:41:00

when you say it is on his P11D, where isit declared?

Flier Fri 30-Jan-09 14:42:08

ok have calmed down a little now and thought back to when I was employed and got P11d's (and when my brain was in gear)!

Now normally, items included on the P11d would not be included within the P60, as they would not go through your salary, but DH's is, for some reason. Are his wages dept screwing up by putting this on the P11d?

ChasingSquirrels Fri 30-Jan-09 14:42:20

Is this paid car allowances?
In which case it is just cash salary and is on his P60 (as you say) and so shouldn't be on his P11d.
HMRC will query it though as they have the P11d info from elsewhere.
If you are sure that there isn't an additional (non-cash) benefit then I would just put the P60 detail in and disclose the P11d situation in the white space.

Flier Fri 30-Jan-09 14:43:13

oneliein - declared within "other items" section M. It shouldn't be there if is included within his salary, should it?

OneLieIn Fri 30-Jan-09 14:43:56

It should not be on his P11d. It is paid as an additional part of his salary and will already be taxed at source.

Agree with Squirrels - be prepared to be queried.

Flier Fri 30-Jan-09 14:45:54

thank you OneLieIn and ChasingSquirrels- no wonder I was confused grin not that it takes much blush

Flier Fri 30-Jan-09 14:48:34

Ok - one more question.
All his fuel is paid for and details of private and business miles are not gathered by the company, although we have calculated his business miles.
Should, therefore the private fuel costs somehow be on his P11d, rather than the £6640 mebtioned previously? I think perhaps this is where the confusion lies

ChasingSquirrels Fri 30-Jan-09 14:49:09

no problem (and I wasn't trying to be sarky in my 1st post - just quite hard to help without knowing what, plus it put the thread in my I'm on convo's).
It does sound like the payroll depn have cocked-up. He should also point it out to them so that they can amend the P11d's.
Is there any chance that it could be other benefits?

Flier Fri 30-Jan-09 14:51:58

no, deffo not, this is the exact amount of his car benefit and he gets no others.

ChasingSquirrels Fri 30-Jan-09 14:52:54

If all fuel is paid for he will have a fuel benefit, can't remember the rates and HMRC fuel calculator check it online.
But fuel benefit should be in the fuel benefit box.

Flier Fri 30-Jan-09 14:54:45

angry nope, nothing there. Bloody wages dept!
thanks though will take a look at that link when I get back from the school run

Flier Fri 30-Jan-09 14:56:52

actually just took a quick look, that implies it is just for company cars (fuel benefit for private use) there doesn't seem to be a mention of private cars. does it still apply?

ChasingSquirrels Sat 31-Jan-09 09:47:47

I'd already gone to pick up from school and didn't come back online yesterday.
I am slightly hazy about this, but think that if you get all fuel paid for a private car then you still get a fuel benefit.
However, if it isn't on the P11d then the employer hasn't returned it to HMRC and it is their cock-up.
If the other amount on the P11d is the exact same as the gross payments he gets for car allowance then I would put the P60 figure on as it it, not put the P11d figure and disclose what you have done in the other information.
Then he needs to speak to his payroll dept and get them to correct the P11d.

UnquietDad Sat 31-Jan-09 10:27:46

Basic question here - can anyone explain in layman's terms why "disallowable expenses" are needed in section 4, and why these are for some reason then added on to your taxable profit? hmm

ChasingSquirrels Sat 31-Jan-09 10:30:43

because you P&L goes in as it stands, and then you need to add back the disallowables?

UnquietDad Sat 31-Jan-09 10:34:58

But disallowable expenses have all got to be stuff done on a business account, right? So if you don't have a separate business account...

ChasingSquirrels Sat 31-Jan-09 10:37:27

ok, you have entered your P&L details in to give you a profit?
If there are any disallowable items in that P&L you need to add them back.
If there aren't then don't worry.
Any capital items? depreciation isn't allowable, you get capital allowances instead.

UnquietDad Sat 31-Jan-09 10:39:06

Thanks. It's quite complex for me because I work from home and I don't have a separate business account or separate bills for anything related to the business...

ChasingSquirrels Sat 31-Jan-09 10:43:55

it doesn't matter whether you have separate accounts or not, what matters is whether the details you have on your profit and loss account include any amounts which are disallowable for tax.
If there are any then add them back.
If there aren't then don't.
Presumably if you have summarised only the business stuff then there won't be any private add-backs, but there may be business costs which are not tax-allowable (eg customer entertaining).

roquefort Sat 31-Jan-09 10:45:51

If you have only deducted allowable expenses in calculating your profit, then don't worry about it. It is there to cover situations where accounts have been prepared deducting all business expenses and there needs to be an adjustment for ones which are business expenses but are not allowable for tax (e.g. business entertainig).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: