Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help with advice over seperation

(4 Posts)
emily05 Mon 04-Apr-05 15:55:58

My mum has just left my stepdad. I was wondering if anybody could advice on what her next step should be.

They have a car and about £3000 in the bank. There are no other assets. Unofficially they have agreed that my mum has the car and my stepdad has the cash.
Does my mum need to legalise this in some way?
What I am worried about is my stepdad spending all of the money and then trying to get half for the car, or stitching my mum nad him up by running up massive debts. It is not exactly ended on friendly terms and my stepdad has a history of nasty behaviour.

Can anybody please let me know what she should do. Does she need to see a solicitor yet to legalise everything in writing pre divorce?

Any advice much appreciated as this is turning a bit confusing!

beansprout Mon 04-Apr-05 16:06:53

I'm sorry, I don't know. Perhaps worth calling your local CAB though?

feelingold Fri 08-Apr-05 23:00:33

She should see a solicitor (you can get a 1/2 hour first session free with some family law solicitors) and get some sort of agreement drawn up to say that they can not claim anything off each other as their assets have already been split. This will ensure that any debts run up by either of them after the split are their own and that any money earned is their own (say if your mum won the lottery, he couldn't claim any). My ex and I had one of these agreements make up at the time of our divorce, hopefully she wouldn't have to wait that long, but not sure. Hope this helps.

Aniles Fri 08-Apr-05 23:02:17

Can they not sell the car and then split the money equally?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now