Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Redundancy and TUPE - my employers have told me i have to attend a meeting and i don't want to!

(11 Posts)
spacedonkey Mon 04-Apr-05 15:17:49

I've been off work sick for over 6 months now, and (to cut a long story short) there has been a major restructuring within the company and my post no longer exists. The company's been taken over by another one, so the TUPE regulations apply (so I'm told). My employer knows I no longer wish to work for them, and since my post no longer exists I am going to be made redundant. I really don't want to have to go into the office for a meeting unless I absolutely have to. I've asked them to just put everything in writing, but they are insisting that legally they HAVE to see me face to face.

Does anyone know if this is true?

beansprout Mon 04-Apr-05 15:22:34

I don't know if it is true or not, sorry, but was just wondering if you do have to meet them, if it needs to be at the workplace? Could it be somewhere neutral or even at your home (I don't know your circumstances, sorry if that is a completely inappropriate suggestion).

Also, could someone go with you?

BubblesDeVere Mon 04-Apr-05 15:24:28

Spacedonkey, could you phone your citizens advice bureau and see if they could be of any help.

spacedonkey Mon 04-Apr-05 15:25:07

ta beansprout - they have said i can have a union rep with me (but i'm not in a union). Yes I think they would be willing to meet me at home or elsewhere. I'd still rather have it in writing and avoid what would, for me, be a very stressful meeting. If I don't agree to a meeting, surely they would have to make me redundant anyway?!

BubblesDeVere Wed 06-Apr-05 08:09:13

Spacedonkey, has anything else happened?

SoupDragon Wed 06-Apr-05 08:23:47

Why are you so against having this meeting? (don't know the whole storyso sorry!) By having this meeting, it will draw a line under this job and finish it. For good. Kind of like visiting the dentist or giving birth!

Sponge Wed 06-Apr-05 10:23:03

I think that in order to fulfil their legal obligations they need to have a face to face meeting with everyone involved in a redundancy situation. This happened to me while I was off on maternity leave and our head of HR came to see me at home. Just her. It wasn't too stressful. I think you will have to see them in order to finalise your redundancy, but only for one meeting, at a place that suits you, and only with one person. I hope you can get through it without too much stress and at least then it will be over.

dinosaur Fri 08-Apr-05 14:45:00

How's it going,spacedonkey?

spacedonkey Fri 08-Apr-05 14:48:49

thanks everyone for the advice and concern

my employer has offered a phone meeting instead, which i feel more comfortable with, so it's sorted really

BubblesDeVere Fri 08-Apr-05 15:22:28

space donkey, i am so pleased, i can imagine why you are pleased.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lou33 Fri 08-Apr-05 17:13:00

huzzah!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now