Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

debt advice please!

(6 Posts)
Triggerhappy Mon 04-Apr-05 10:06:12

i have lived at my current address for over 2 years & i'm still getting a lot of mail for one of the previous occupants.
although i repeatedly send it back with "not at this address" on it, they still keep coming.
i'm worried these may be from courts or bailiffs, as i know she owed a bit of money, so i was wondering, is there a certain amount of time that companies or courts will allow before a debt is spent? if so, how long? and where do i stand if bailiffs do come knocking?

TIA for any info.

katierocket Mon 04-Apr-05 10:06:56

if it's not your debt and you have no financial connection with the person then you have no worries.

WideWebWitch Mon 04-Apr-05 10:09:09

KR is right, keep returning them with not at this address, not your problem.

expatinscotland Mon 04-Apr-05 10:17:17

This happened to us as well. Not just one of the past tennants, but several! I respond to each one of these collection notices w/a form letter informing them that this is rental property and the debt belongs to a former tennant. I send these letters to the creditor via registered post. Never hear from them again after that.

Freckle Mon 04-Apr-05 10:20:28

Not sure if it would help, but could you put a note on the door asking the postman to only deliver post addressed to you?

I appreciate that this will not stop the letters being sent, but, as you have informed many of these people that the addressee no longer lives at that address and they are still sending letters, it probably won't be that different.

Triggerhappy Mon 04-Apr-05 12:57:26

thanks for your answers all, feel a little better now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now