Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Life Insurance

(10 Posts)
Overtiredmum Thu 15-Jan-09 22:56:02

Quick question really, if we have joint life insurance which covers our mortgage and idiot DH has decided to start smoking (after years of NOT smoking grrrrrrr), should I declare it to our insurance company?

CeceliaAhern Thu 15-Jan-09 22:57:21

You should because it could invalidate your policy but your payment will go way up. Why not advise him to stop instead.

Overtiredmum Thu 15-Jan-09 22:59:20

Thats what I thought, might just tell him I have been shopping around for new policy (he never gets involved with anything like that) and the price is ridiculous because of him smoking, I'll try and put him on a guilt trip hmm

blueshoes Thu 15-Jan-09 23:24:07

Your dh can take it up again when it is time to retire. Smoking is good when buying annuities. <tongue in cheek>

janinlondon Fri 16-Jan-09 12:52:39

And don't let him think he can fool them. They came to our house and took buccal scrapes from both of us!

catMandu Fri 16-Jan-09 12:54:37

janinlondon shock are you serious?

wombleprincess Sat 17-Jan-09 18:37:21

yes tell them or else your policy will be deemed invalid even if its a non smoking related incident. and yes they will take scrapes!

janinlondon Mon 19-Jan-09 08:53:34

Absolutely!

hedgehog1979 Mon 19-Jan-09 08:59:36

even if he stops he will still be classed as an ex smoker.
DH and I both gave up about 10 years ago, but still have to declare it on our form

Overtiredmum Mon 19-Jan-09 19:54:17

Well, we decided to have a hunt around because I am guilty of just renewing without looking for new quotes, and have managed to get it down from £54 to £18 a month!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: