Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tenancy Agreements

(6 Posts)
Gloria42 Thu 15-Jan-09 13:08:20


This might be a bit long, sorry!

I purchased a flat in March 2005 which I refurbished and let out from May 2005.

The tenant transfered the electricity supply from the one which supplied the flat when he moved in(Eon/Powergen) to the one which had supplied his previous residence (Scottish Power). All fine except that somehow it took 4 months for the actual transfer to take place.

Now (yes almost 4 years later) I am being chased by debt collectors sent by Eon/Powergen for payment of an electricity bill relating to the period March 2005 - September 2005. They say they have no record that there was a tenant living in the flat during this period and without showing them a tenancy agreement I will be liable to pay the whole amount.

They tell me that the legal requirement is for Tenancy Agreements to be kept for seven years. Does anyone know if this is correct? Unfortunately my then-tenant died in 2006 so I didn't think I would ever need it again and destroyed it.

Any help/suggestions appreciated

mamhaf Thu 15-Jan-09 13:56:17

What about council tax records? Could the local council help with this?

Gloria42 Thu 15-Jan-09 13:59:01

He was a pensioner, I don't think they pay council tax?
I know his family and suggested a letter from them or the Executer of the will but the lady I spoke to at PowerGen today said the only document they accepted was the Tenancy Agreement.

listentome Thu 15-Jan-09 14:46:46

Had a similar situation years ago with a water company. Did you use an estate agent to find the tenant? My problem got solved because the estate agency had kept a copy of the Tenancy Agreement.

Gloria42 Thu 15-Jan-09 15:01:05

Listentome, unfortunately not, it was all done privately.

scubagroover Thu 15-Jan-09 15:09:46

Could you check the electoral roll. Your tenant should have been registered for that I would imagine. I would contact the council and explain the situation and see what they can provide.

I think that as a general rule you need to keep all legal documents for 7 years

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now