Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Lost job. Should I ring HB office and tax credits now? Or desperately try to find new job?

(5 Posts)
solidgoldsoddingjanuaryagain Mon 12-Jan-09 14:06:22

What do you all think. I will get paid next week but that will be it (no legal issues, this was a temp/agency job) but have horrible debts and no money spare.

cmotdibbler Mon 12-Jan-09 14:12:37

Oh no, so sorry to hear about that. I'd ring them now, and get ringing round the agencies/search Monster or whatever as well. If you find a new job, then great, otherwise you have something in place. Also ring the people you owe and explain - always best to let them know beforehand

treedelivery Mon 12-Jan-09 14:16:22

Ring now and swing into action - you may have a job in days but if not the system hb/tax credits/job seekers are so slow you need to get going.

Took just under 4 weeks from liquidation of firm to actual money [jsa] arriving for us!!

2 months into it and no decision on council tax etc....

Idrankthechristmasspirits Mon 12-Jan-09 15:28:35

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear about your job.

re the debts; don't phone your creditors. write to them all and explain that you have become unemployed and will be making token payments of £1 to each of them until you are re employed.
Include an income and expenditure sheet showing £0 income other than your child benefit and maintenence if you receive it.

Make sure that you state clearly you do not wish to deal with them on the telephone, all contact must be in writing.

This will help reduce any stress for you over the next few weeks.

Make an appointment with the benefits advisor at your local job centre to find out what to claim for etc. With tax credits i think you only notify them if your income will fall for x amount of time but you should check this out. The benfits advisor will help you.

Sit down and redo your c.v. Look for companies locally that employ people with your skill sets and research them. Send a c.v with a covering letter tailored to their needs even if they are not advertising vacancies. One of the best jobs i had was found in that way.
Register with any employment agencies relevent to your line of work and use the job centre to find local vacancies. You can go there whenever you want to search their current vacancies and to look at the local papers etc.
Don't forget to claim travel expenses for any interviews you attend.

You will probably be entitled to contributions based jobseekers allowance, look into this.

If you have any payment protection insurances on any of your debts you will probably need to be signed on for this to kick in. Check all your policies to see if you are covered.

Best wishes finding a new position. x x

solidgoldsoddingjanuaryagain Mon 12-Jan-09 16:50:44

Thanks all. It's not so bad really - it's the 'main' job (I do about 6 different things that all pay various little bits of money and get tac credits etc) that's gone and am already on HB so they will (hopefully) up it a bit when informed. Have also applied for a new and much better paid job this afternoon and will ring the chatline company this evening and reregister, will also finish book and shove that up online etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now