Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much debt would you pay off? Don't really see the point in saving at the moment...

(11 Posts)
Hopefully Thu 08-Jan-09 10:02:12

With interest rates as they are, saving seems a little pointless.

We have all of our debt on a 0% credit card, so is isn't earning any interest, but obviously is still hanging over our heads (we are paying it off at a reasonable rate, it's not remotely crippling, just annoying).

We have about 2 month's income in an ISA in case of emergency, which made sense to keep rather than using it to pay off the debts when it was earning a reasonable interest, but as the interest falls it seems less and less useful.

So, would you keep the savings, pay off the debt (the savings will pay off about 2/3 of the debt), use 1 month's income worth of savings to pay off the debt, or leave everything exactly as it is?

DP has a good job, although in current climate, who knows how secure anything is, and I am on maternity leave, but could go back if anything happened to DP's job. Will probably be going back part time (if they'll let me) in September. My job is about as secure as anyone's, so not toooooo worried about that (but again, who knows in current financial situation!)

Hopefully Thu 08-Jan-09 10:02:53

Sorry, 'use 1 month's income worth of savings to pay off some of the debt'.

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 08-Jan-09 10:06:04

If you are not paying any interest, I would keep the ISA, as you said you never know what will happen.

personally would keep some savings just in case it boiler blows up, car needs repairs etc but defo up the payments to the credit card even if just an extra £10-20 per mth

trixymalixy Thu 08-Jan-09 13:50:37

I would keep the savings.

funnypeculiar Thu 08-Jan-09 13:53:30

If it's only 2 months savings, I'd keep it, since you're not paying anything on the debt - as others have said in case of car problem/boiler carnage etc etc. Although I can really understand your desire to pay off all your debt! Maybe just pay off some (a hundred or so?) to make you feel better. Or, if you've got a mortgage and your rate is coming down, use the excess money and pay it st into the cc?

Hopefully Thu 08-Jan-09 18:03:29

Have decided to keep the savings, and use my extra bit of pay I'll get this month (minor cock up on my maternity pay, so get a couple of hundred quid extra this month) to put towards the debt to make myself feel better.
We are actually paying it off reasonably quickly (considering the amount of time it took to accumulate with DP and my lavish student lifestyles!), I just get impatient and want it cleared...

ssd Thu 08-Jan-09 19:59:59

good idea

midlandsmumof4 Fri 09-Jan-09 00:58:28

Pay off as much as you can whilst the rate is at 0% & consider paying off the balance from your savings. Then pay as much back into your savings acount as you can.

HolyGuacamole Fri 09-Jan-09 01:11:55

Agree Midlandsmum.

countingto10 Fri 09-Jan-09 14:19:53

It's good to have at least 3 months income in savings to cover emergencies etc. Your DH could become ill and be on basic sickpay eg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now