Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Thinking of switching from BT to Talk Talk

(26 Posts)
pamelat Tue 06-Jan-09 20:17:13

We have a BT phone line (which we don't even use) to enable us to have BT broadband

We pay about £30 a month. We never make any calls.

I was stopped in a supermarket by a man trying to get me to switch to talktalk for £16.99 a month. This includes line rental, calls and broadband. We still don't want the calls but its almost half price.

We would be tied in for 18 months and pay a £30 connection fee.

Anyone any experience of these people or know of any better details?

Especially as we dont even want phone calls/phone at all.

Thank you

Yorkiegirl Tue 06-Jan-09 20:17:57

Message withdrawn

TequilaMockinBird Tue 06-Jan-09 20:18:24

What about getting mobile broadband through one of those dongle thingys if you don't actually need the landline?

MadamAntlers Tue 06-Jan-09 20:19:09

Don't do it!!!! I could write a dissertation on the ways in which Talk Talk are shit.

morningpaper Tue 06-Jan-09 20:19:17

I switched recently and was then sent a bill for £100 from BT because apparently, in a phone call last year, I signed up to a 12-month contract that I don't remember hmm

Have put in a formal complaint which is bring roundly ignored

TequilaMockinBird Tue 06-Jan-09 20:19:36

here for example
Some of them you even get a free laptop with!

pamelat Tue 06-Jan-09 20:19:48

I heard about those dongle things last week but arent they slow or something?

Thanks re warning about talk talk, what sort of hassle did they give you?
Thank you

pamelat Tue 06-Jan-09 20:22:35

thank you

any experience of the dongle thingy.

DH has been made redundant so we still need internet but need to save £'s

orangehead Tue 06-Jan-09 20:23:42

Im with talktalk, have been for about two years and never had a problem with them. The broadband is good and have less problems then my friends who are with other companies

pamelat Tue 06-Jan-09 20:23:45

sorry to be ignorant and will read up on them now but can I still use my laptop wireless with these dongle things?

TequilaMockinBird Tue 06-Jan-09 20:27:14

yes you can still use your laptop wireless, in fact it will be more portable as you should be able to get online anywhere!

I haven't used one so not sure re speed and things...sorry

pamelat Tue 06-Jan-09 20:29:30

Oh right so I wont even need our wireless router?

Its very confusing. I understand how my GP's feel about email now!

Habbibu Tue 06-Jan-09 20:29:47

Talktalk customer service is shockingly bad. We're with Waitrose now - much much better.

TequilaMockinBird Tue 06-Jan-09 20:33:30

this may help explain it

If you do decide to go for it though shop around because places like carphone warehouse and pcworld will give you a free laptop if you sign up to a mobile broadband contract through them AFAIK

ComeWhineWithMe Tue 06-Jan-09 20:33:56

I had a dongle its good ,my dbro has it now it costs around 50.00 to buy and then 15.00 a month to top up .

About the same speed as my broadband iirc and really easy to set up.

DO NOT USE TALK CRAP *THEY8 ARE CRAP.

and made me cry a lot last year after taking too much fromour debit card (a 100.00 too much ) and then spending six weeks over christmas denying it and not giving it back it took barclays personally contacting them with all sorts of codes for them to listen.

hellogoodbye Tue 06-Jan-09 20:35:59

We have switched from BT to talk talk and getting a far better deal. Don't have any problems so far but even if we do, it will be worth the saving.

pamelat Tue 06-Jan-09 20:39:41

Thank you, the link even has a comparison tool.

I have been a little put off talk talk!

ComeWhineWithMe Tue 06-Jan-09 20:41:04

Oh and they gave our phonenumber to another customer and we got hers and for two weeks we were getting personal calls for her and vice versa ,we used to ring each other up and swap messages we became quite pally TBH grin

This also meant we had no internet for the two weeks and it took a BT engineer knocking on our door to ask us to explain the problem because he did not have a clue what talk talk were going on about [sigh].

ComeWhineWithMe Tue 06-Jan-09 20:41:54

www.weeklygripe.co.uk/a292.asp

Check out facebook for all the groups which hate talk talk too .

ComeWhineWithMe Tue 06-Jan-09 20:41:55

www.weeklygripe.co.uk/a292.asp

Check out facebook for all the groups which hate talk talk too .

babypringle Tue 06-Jan-09 21:07:10

We changed from BT to TalkTalk ... and had no service (phone or broadband) at all for the first four weeks. All the fault support has been outsourced to an Indian call centre which is hilariously bad. I ended up spending 1hr+ a day calling them from my mobile to get it sorted.
Since the problem was sorted, the service has been fine and bills are a lot less. It's just a trauma to start with.

Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 06-Jan-09 21:16:08

I was with BT and paying £50 a month shock (had been asking them to reduce my direct debit for months, and they kept saying they would, but didn't...) had sooo many problems with them, both when we first got broadband and again when we moved- spent weeks talking to call centres in India who obviously couldn't give a stuff, and it took a letter which customer servives answered 2 full weeks later to get it sorted angry

I decided that talktalk's service could NOT be worse, and was only £20/ mth...so far (2 yrs), so good smile maybe I've just been lucky, and I was braced for the worst, but I haven't had a single problem (touch wood!) My dad and neighbour have also switched and had no trouble.

I was really disappointed in BT- I thought I was paying more, and would be getting a better service, but it didn't work out that way. I'm sure talktalk's customer service will be pants whenever I have to use it, but I really can't see how it can be much worse than BT's, and I am saving £30/ mth (AND BT had to refund me nearly £200 I had overpaid, because they refused to reduce my dd) I would NEVER go back to BT- would rather use yogurt pots and bits of string!

ThingOne Wed 07-Jan-09 12:02:44

Talk Talk are really shit. I find BT's customer service better than most of the utilities. MInd you, that's not a very high hurdle ...

sweetkitty Wed 07-Jan-09 12:11:11

Agree talktalk are utter rubbish but I was paying £55 a month with BT and pay about £18 a month now with talktalk.

I think they are fine as long as you don't have any faults, like others have said customer support is horrendous I wrote this long letter of complaint recently and got told oh we're very busy right now and you have broadband now so basically FO.

chloejessmeg Wed 07-Jan-09 15:08:52

Oh and you also get loads of Nectar points when you join and 2 points for every £1 you spend on your monthly bills

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now