Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

thinking of switching to edf energy - any reports? pitfalls?

(8 Posts)
elliott Mon 05-Jan-09 21:48:57

I have never changed utility suppliers and tbh after looking at the switching sites I'm not bowled over by the savings - british gas offering a derisory £14 per year dual fuel discount for example!
Anyway we are recommended edf and I wondered whether they were rated or not for customer service - and is there anything to watch out for, like getting locked into a contract?
One reason savings are disappointing is that I insist on paper bills and quarterly bills - I don't like monthly direct debit as I would rather just pay for what I have used.

MrsMuddle Mon 05-Jan-09 22:44:52

I was with edf, then changed to Scottish Gas and it was such a nightmare I quickly changed back.

I've never had a problem with edf, and when I've had to phone, the people have been efficient and pleasant.

I think the minimum contract for all companies is 28 days, by law.

And you get Nectar points with edf too.

WriggleJiggle Mon 05-Jan-09 22:55:13

EDF were awfull. It took at least a dozen phonecalls and 4 letters to get them to stop sending me threatening (and incorrect) bills. I resorted to sending the appropriate evidence in triplicate by recorded delivery. It took over a year to sort the problem out. Never, never again.

UnfortunatelyMe Mon 05-Jan-09 22:59:04

I am with edf, on prepayment. When I lost my electric key I rang up at 9.10 and the bloke sorted it out there and then on the phone, and arranged for me to pick up a new key from a shop down the road for 10 oclock, I just needed to give them a password.
Perfect service.

notcitrus Tue 06-Jan-09 18:14:06

They've been competent with me, although I've just switched to E-on for both gas and leccy with some big introductory discount - I get to pay quarterly but bills are online (used moneysupermarket.com)

I don't trust any of them with direct debit. Although ended up with a year free gas once after Npower told us actually they hadn't been supplying us after all and wouldn't take our money - London Electric tried to get me to pay but I pointed out I had no contract with them!

pleasechange Tue 06-Jan-09 18:15:58

I never had a problem with them as such, but they were v hard to reach on the phone.

Also my dd payments went up and down drastically, eg. paying £75pm for a few months, then reduced to £12pm for a while, which seemed ridiculous

pagwatch Tue 06-Jan-09 18:21:50

well - my £3,500 gas bill from early Novemeber that they have still failed to sort out wouldn't cause me to recommend them

elliott Tue 06-Jan-09 20:12:51

hmmm. Is it worth the hassle I wonder?
They do seem to get better ratings than BG so maybe they are just ALL shite...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now