Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is it illegal to be drunk in charge of a baby in your own home?

(16 Posts)
morningpaper Tue 29-Mar-05 18:57:40

As title. I think the answer is no, it's only illegal in a public place. Anyone know?

MistressMary Tue 29-Mar-05 18:58:11

Why?

duster Tue 29-Mar-05 19:00:17

No idea, but if you give the baby Calpol he can't operate machinery or drive. Bottles of alcohol have no such warning labels! And by the way, my baby is now definitley in charge of me.

morningpaper Tue 29-Mar-05 19:04:27

I was discussing a situation with someone where police left the home of a couple drunk in charge of a baby - this surprised me.

MistressMary Tue 29-Mar-05 19:08:34

Ah right!
If on a rare occasion we do manage to go out, one of leaves the drink for the purpose of being alert enough if our baby needs something in the night.

I wonder too in that case.

morningpaper Tue 29-Mar-05 19:10:54

Yes we do too. To be honest I'm more worried about me not bring sober enough to calm dd down quickly enough and ending up awake for hours. But we've never both been 'drunk' together since she was born.

juicychops Tue 29-Mar-05 20:01:28

because i have to do all the night feeds (as my DP doesn't wake or just ignores the crying) whenever i go out, i do have a drink but i only have a few so that im alert enough to get up in the night and see to DS

samdarling Tue 29-Mar-05 20:07:16

juicechops - my DH sleeps has NEVER got up during the night to either DS or DD so I too sometimes have a couple of drinks....otherwise I would be still be teetotal even tho DS is 3!! If like me you can only manage a couple (cant face hangover & boistrous toddler) I dont see that it matters. Falling down drunk is another matter...

helsi Tue 29-Mar-05 20:12:15

I don't know about illegal but I think if anything were to happen then people like social services might get involved depending on severity of the incident. I suppose they would take it further if it was regular incidents.

CarrieG Tue 29-Mar-05 20:17:46

We have a deal that one of us is nominated to stay sufficiently compos mentis to deal with an emergency - neither of us drives atm, once we do I imagine whoever's 'in charge' will stay off the sauce altogether.

Wrt to title, I'd imagine it'd be quite hard to enforce a law against parents boozing at home...say you took the legal driving limit as a benchmark, would police have power to enter homes of anyone with an under 2 (again, for sake of example), demand to know who the 'designated parent' was & breathalyse them?!

Not advocating getting paralytic whilst caring for a baby you understand, just don't quite see how you'd make it illegal...

JanH Tue 29-Mar-05 20:27:38

You mean if it's the parents it's OK?

A local childminder was recently responsible for a child in her care drowning in the bath when she'd had several bottles of wine - she is going to prison for 3 years and there is now a big fuss about her being cleared for minding in the first place. Daily Telegraph .

CarrieG Tue 29-Mar-05 20:57:13

No, not at all!

Just that I'm not sure if it'd be enforceable, iyswim.

The childminder in question had, I believe, downed the booze before the child joined her in the bath at 1am, slipped, & she was too p$ssed to lift him out - if I did that with my own son, I'd definitely expect to be prosecuted for manslaughter!

Cod Tue 29-Mar-05 20:58:17

Message withdrawn

JoolsToo Tue 29-Mar-05 20:58:34

is this about the recent sentencing of the babyminder who was drunk in charge of a toddler who drowned?

tiffini Tue 29-Mar-05 21:01:42

the law allows people to keep their own children when they are heroin addicts , so i think drunks are quite safe.

tiffini Tue 29-Mar-05 21:02:29

i dont mean safe to look after children, i mean safe from the law.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now