Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Question about benefit entitlement for DH who has lost his job

(10 Posts)
itsaJollyHolidayForMary Fri 02-Jan-09 13:42:24

DH has been fired from his job today. He has been given no reason, one weeks notice that he does not have to work (he was in probationary period, we already know no legal standing, and thats on another thread anyway).

He has worked continuously without any break for more than 3 , in his prevous job for over 2.5 years, then straight into this job, there for 5 months and has paid NI contributions for the entire time.

Is he entitled to any kind of contributions based unemployment benefits? I know that used to exist, could claim for like 6 months or something if paid NI contributions for a period of time. Does that still exist? Or a version of?

We are not entitled to any other additional support, apart from reduction in council tax, as I earn too much (ie over £15,000 or whatever the threashold for support is), just wondered if there is anything he can get while he looks for another job, just give us some breathing space.

TheBlonde Fri 02-Jan-09 13:45:39

contribution based JSA still exists so he should be able to claim that

mihgt be worth checking

itsaJollyHolidayForMary Fri 02-Jan-09 13:47:51

thanks TheBlonde - i will look at this site.

itsaJollyHolidayForMary Fri 02-Jan-09 13:58:21

that site is for means-tested benefits. we are defintely not entitled to any of those!

He is just going to call Job centre and make an appt or whatever it is you have to do these days.

TheBlonde Fri 02-Jan-09 14:03:13

I think £58k is the threshold for tax credits but not sure

LadyMuck Fri 02-Jan-09 14:06:22

Phone 08000556688 to start the process. They will do the form online with him and then make an appt for him to attend the JobCentre. If you have a reasonable income then he may only be entitled to JSA. He can look for specific jobs for 13 weeks, but may have to agree to widen his search after 13 weeks.

itsaJollyHolidayForMary Fri 02-Jan-09 14:22:07

yes it is £58 you are right, i get the minimum tax credits now (earn less than that before DH lost his job) and DHs loss of salary does not take me low enough to get more than what I am getting now (£40 every 4 weeks)

We will get some rebate for council tax which will help, as we paid it in full for the year, will get about £80 back! its better than nowt though eh?

itsaJollyHolidayForMary Fri 02-Jan-09 14:24:19

Ladymuck - we know we cannot get income based benefits as I still earn too much, but contributions based are just on what he has earned isn't it? He might not even get that as he worked part time (but earnt enough to pay NI). Its not going to make us rich, but will ease the initial shock of being down a significant wage.

TheBlonde Fri 02-Jan-09 15:01:18

contributions based just depends on how much NI you pay iirc

LadyMuck Fri 02-Jan-09 19:16:00

Yes if he has a full NI record for the last couple of years then he will get contributions based JSA (£60.50 off the top of my head).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: