Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How low can you go? Anyone need to cut back this year? I do...

(8 Posts)
nkf Tue 30-Dec-08 12:59:27

Share tips on cost cutting?
I am seriously thinking of keeping notes of how much I spend a day. Nothing like seeing the figures in black and white for bringing it home.

nkf Tue 30-Dec-08 13:08:01

Too early for being careful? Or am I the only skint person on MN right now?

SpecialOffer Tue 30-Dec-08 13:09:12

Meal plan - then make a list and take to the supermarket, has really cut down my spending, or do it on-line so you are not tempted!!!

jingleallnewjinglebells Tue 30-Dec-08 13:14:56

nkf I used to write down what I spent each day. It really does make you think about what you're spending!

Things I have done over the past year to save money are:

- meal plan. Write a list of meals, make a shopping list and do it online so you're not tempted to buy more than you need. Have a weekly shopping budget and stick to it.

- cancel discretionary spends like private healthcare or gym

- sounds obvious, but make sure your insurance costs are as low as possible, also your electric/gas

- if you don't use your mobile much, switch to PAYG

- Have a weekly cash budget. Get that amount from the bank once each week and don't spend more than that amount before the following week!

- Write yourself a budget. This sounds so anal, but actually writing down your expenditure really focuses your mind on what you have available to spend

Eddas Tue 30-Dec-08 13:15:58

i've got loads of tips from mn threads before, althoughblush have yet to use any of themblush have you searched old threads?

one of the top tips is always to write down your spending for a week/month to see where you spend. It's amazing how much crap you buyblush

I really really need to meal plan. I'm starting a new work regime in a few weeks so will need to do it time wise aswell as money wise, which i'm hoping is incentive enough. Plus dh is dieting/training as of 1st Jan and i'd like to loose weight too so am hoping it'll all happen together! <<yeah right>>

Eddas Tue 30-Dec-08 13:16:52

oh and I have a spreadsheet for bills/income etc and that helps

Notreallycutoutforthis Tue 30-Dec-08 13:18:37

Can you get fruit and veg from a farm shop - just started doing that and it makes a huge difference to weekly bill smile

nkf Tue 30-Dec-08 14:57:31

I have a great local market and could use that for fruit and veg. I did a bit before Christmas and really did notice how much you get for your money.

As of today, I'm writing down how much I spend.

I pretty much always meal plan but I'm lazy about shopping and do a weekly supermarket delivery shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now