Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Paperwork help! What to do with bills and payslips!

(8 Posts)
lunavix Sat 26-Mar-05 16:25:51

Sorting out my tons of paperwork, and I have bills, bank statements, payslips, receipts... dating back years!!!!!

How long should I keep all this stuff?
And what if you close an account or stop using a utility provider?

lunavix Sat 26-Mar-05 17:16:41

bump help!!!!!!

Snugs Sat 26-Mar-05 17:23:08

I keep bank statements 1 yr, bills 2 years, payslips 3 years, P60's and other IR stuff, 7 years.

But I am a bit obsessive with paperwork so that might be a bit excessive.

redsky Sat 26-Mar-05 17:25:00

I employed an expert office declutterer! In 2 days she transformed our home office and set up a really workable filing system, and helped us sort out what had to be kept. Want to know more?

suedonim Sat 26-Mar-05 21:42:04

Yes, Redsky!! How much do they charge? And where do I find one? from under an avalanche of paperwork.

redsky Sun 27-Mar-05 11:31:49

I googled 'office declutter' and came up with a girl in South London. She happily came out to us on Surrey/hants border. Initial assessment was free then £200 per day. She worked very quickly and efficiently, stopping only briefly for lunch. Very professional attitude and service - well worth the money IMO.

suedonim Sun 27-Mar-05 23:40:22

Thanks!! I've done quite a bit of filing myself today - in File 13!

SueW Mon 28-Mar-05 00:21:04

Is that the Round File (which has now been replaced by the shredder)?

I wanted a stationery spike until I realised I'd need an series of them and that would increase my risk of falling on top of one and dying!!! One for household receipts; one for my expenses; one for DH's, etc. It gets too complicated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now