Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Sale of business - debt issue?

(5 Posts)
jampots Thu 24-Mar-05 23:12:15

My sister and her dh sold their business on 1st November to Mr X. British Gas had previously sent them erroneous fuel bills and the figure requested was in dispute at the time of sale. The new buyer was aware of this. The purchaser bought the business for £2 and they completed a
J34 stock transfer form transferring 2 x £1 shares to new owner. My sis and her dh resigned as Directors and Company Secretary.

British Gas have since been chasing my sister for the amount owing even though the business was sold with all assets and liabilities. The owner says its not his debt and BG agree with him. They are now issuing proceedings against my sister for a debt belonging to the company. Are they in teh wrong or the right?

irishbird Thu 24-Mar-05 23:26:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jampots Thu 24-Mar-05 23:37:04

yes it was

Freckle Fri 25-Mar-05 08:10:30

Was the gas bill in her name or that of the company? If in the name of the co., and the co. was limited, then BG are pursuing the wrong person. If not, then she may be in trouble.

Freckle Fri 25-Mar-05 08:11:17

Also, she needs to check whether she ever signed a personal guarantee in respect of gas supply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now