Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.


(7 Posts)
hatsoff Thu 24-Mar-05 22:57:53

Anyone out there single and living off benefits? and/or statutory maternity pay? Friend of mine is due to have her second child. She's single and if I were her I would be pretty scared. How skint does the state let a single mum be?

megandsoph Fri 25-Mar-05 09:46:38

when me and exh split I wasn't working and had two little ones to feed and I got around £130 a week to live on, He also left me with alot of debt and CSA took forever (2 yrs) to come through so yeah £130 plus child benefit 120 a mth. It is scary but if u budget very very very well then she should be ok. It is so hard hence why I started working four mths later as it was alot more benefical finance wise.

tammybear Fri 25-Mar-05 09:50:51

i lived on benefits for a year and a half i think it was. i got income support, child tax credit, housing and council tax benefits, maintenance from exp which we arranged ourselves, and child benefit. it was difficult but like MAS said if she budgets well, she'll be fine. I somehow managed it, but even going back to work hasnt made any real difference to me financially. Say to her to go to citizens advice if she can. She should be able to be told what she can be entitled too.

megandsoph Fri 25-Mar-05 10:06:41

oops forgot about the other benefits too. I couldn't get these as I was still living in the family home and exh still payed the morgage. Agree with TB ref the CAB also ur pal should speak to a lone parents adviser to dicuss exactally what shes entitled to and also to find out wether she would be better off working or not as this really depends on circumstances.

hatsoff Fri 25-Mar-05 17:44:44

thanks guys. She's extremely sensible and good with money - not exactly rolling in it now she's working but her dd never goes without anything, so if anyone can cope I'm sure she can. Your answers reassure me a bit!

tammybear Fri 25-Mar-05 17:46:56

oh if shes working, then she can get working tax credit too, and should be able to get up to 70% help with childcare if she hasnt already

hatsoff Fri 25-Mar-05 19:44:32

she's working now but giving up to have second baby

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: