Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Q re tennants rights

(6 Posts)
Aniles Wed 23-Mar-05 20:50:20

Oh dear, I always seem to be complaining about things on here lately, here I go again!..

I'm a private tennant and my landlord owns my house and the house next door which recently became empty. The roof of my house and the house next door have recenly been replaced and I didn't have any idea this was going to happen until I returned home from work one day to find scafolding surrounding my house and a sheet covering the roof instead of tiles (which incidently leaked and has left a huge damp patch on my bedroom ceiling about 3x6ft).

Today the windows of the house next door were being replaced with new ones and the man doing the work casually mentioned that he is doing mine next week. Now, the windows in my house desperatley need replacing so I'm happy that the work is going to be done, but it seems my landlord had no intention of telling me this either. This means that he is planning on letting some men into my house without even letting me know. This will obviously cause some disruption and mess and I will need to move furniture away from the windows (heavy units that I can't move by myself).

Should my landlord be giving people access into my home without even warning me? I could have had things stored in my attic which would have been ruined when the roof was done. And if I hadn't found out today that my windows are to be replaced than I wouldn't know to move my furniture to ensure it doesn't get damaged (the window man said that he wouldn't move it). Apart from this, I really don't like the idea of people being in my house without me being warned so that I can hide anything private.

Anyone know?

coppertop Wed 23-Mar-05 20:55:53

I'm no expert but from what I remember the landlord has to give you at least 24hrs notice (unless in an emergency) if he or someone on his behalf wants access to your property. They can't just let themselves in when they feel like it.

Freckle Wed 23-Mar-05 20:59:02

Have you looked at your tenancy agreement? It should have some provision in there for repairs, etc. Normally your landlord should give you warning of any repairs to be carried out. He should not be giving access to your home to tradesmen without your consent, unless the repairs are essential to your safety. Have you tried writing to him to ask for adequate notice of any work being carried out to your property? Presumably he will be repairing the damp damage?

Aniles Wed 23-Mar-05 21:11:34

My tennancy agreement doesn't mention anything about repairs or letting people into the house. He knows about the damp in my bedroom, along with other damp spots around the house and has no intention of doing anything about them. I wouldn't have remained living in this house for as long as I have if it weren't for the fact that the rent is cheaper than other similar properties, and the cost involved in moving. Although if he intends to increase the rent as a result of the work that has been done I won't have an excuse to stay, plus there are other bonuses to moving away.

pixiefish Wed 23-Mar-05 21:13:54

He is bang out of order if he comes into your home without giving you proper notice

LIZS Mon 28-Mar-05 16:34:07

Unless it is an emergency (ie leaking pipe, causing damage) as Coppertop said, a standard lease (ie Assured Shorthold Tenancy) stipulates at least 24hrs notice of access. If an agency is involved such communication should come from them. He also cannot increase the rent without proper notice (usually at expiry/renewal of tenancy period).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now