Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Lost diamond

(9 Posts)
ladygarden Tue 22-Mar-05 19:53:29

Eeek, just found that the diamond has dropped out of my engagement ring. Don't think we have a guarantee, it's over 2 years old, but all the same do you think I have a chance of getting any money out of Ernest Jones?? Surely engagement rings ought to be built to last a lifetime...

anorak Tue 22-Mar-05 19:54:46

What about house contents insurance? That's if Ernest Jones won't pay.

ladygarden Tue 22-Mar-05 19:57:17

Don't think it got added to home contents...

ladygarden Tue 22-Mar-05 19:57:28

ladygarden Tue 22-Mar-05 19:57:50

SoupDragon Tue 22-Mar-05 19:59:33

Does it necessarily need to be listed separately?

tigi Tue 22-Mar-05 20:16:09

You may find it's covered anyway under 'cover in the open away from home'. Read the small print. Unless it is very expensive, you wouldn't have listed it seperately. Altenatively it may come under 'accidental damage', and unless you pay for this/have it, you would't be covered. Phone the ins company helpline to ask. No harm in asking! I had to have a small one replaced a couple of years ago, and it didn't cost much (but it was small!)

SoupDragon Tue 22-Mar-05 20:21:17

You also need to check that it would be covered had you lost it inside the home too. My SIL ran into problems with this when she lost her wedding ring.

mummy2b Sat 02-Apr-05 01:46:39

Hi,
Just read your massage and might be able to advice you!
I work for H.Samuel, who is part of the same company that owns Ernest Jones and Leslie Davies, and when we sell a diamond ring at H.Samuel, we have to give you a 10 year diamond guarentee, which covers the ring against any defects that may occur for 10 years!
Did you get one of these guarentees from Ernest Jones?
If you did then maybe take you can take it back and if they can see that the diamond fell out due to a manufacturing fault, and if it did then they have to repair it for you free of charge!
Hope this is some help!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: