Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Just been made redundant...

(18 Posts)
Hayls Mon 21-Mar-05 11:24:45

Just got into work this morning to be greeted byt he Chief Exec to be told we're all being made redundnat. Can't believe it, so shocked, just got dd settled in at nursery after returnig from mat leave in January. CE rummaging through to see what he can 'sell' and I've got a load of young people here with nowhere else to go, no jobs, no money.

Tried finding out about redundnacy payments...been here for 2 years but having trouble working it out. Work 2 days now but used to work 4, what weekly payment do I use?

Sorry to ramble but not feeling too coherent

Hayls Mon 21-Mar-05 11:50:10

How much notice do they have to give me?
Should i ask for a reference?
WTF do I do about dd's nurdery?

Lonelymum Mon 21-Mar-05 11:52:52

No idea of the answer to your questions, but wanted to say I am sorry to hear about your redundancy.

iota Mon 21-Mar-05 11:53:20

take a look here

often companies will give more generous terms than minimum

handlemecarefully Mon 21-Mar-05 11:58:15

I don't have answers either - but yes I would ask for a reference.

Will this leave you in the financial mire?

Hayls Mon 21-Mar-05 12:05:06

Thanks for your replies.
Not too much of a mire, dh thankfully earns a decent amount dd but i really enjoy the extras that my salary can get for us. We've just taken on a second property as investment/ renovation so that could be affected. Dd is settled at nursery si I don't want to take her out, hopefully i can get someting else before red pay and wages run out. They want me to spend this week helping to clear out and complete paperwork etc but i'm tempted to tell them where to go...due back in on Wednesday but want to go now. Horrible atmosphere. My brain is hurting and dh is away for 2 weeks so can't have a good chat with him- no mobile reception where he is and no landlie either (he does know, got him earlier)
This was my perfect job and I loved having a bit of independence 2 days a week. It is such a shock, no notice was given that this might happen
Sorry to ramble, I know I'm not making any sense

handlemecarefully Mon 21-Mar-05 12:24:54

I sympathise - it's rough when it was a job that you really loved.

What sort of work was it - will you be able to find similar work elsewhere?

Hayls Mon 21-Mar-05 13:35:30

It's sort of youth work, doing vocational training for mainly 16-18 year olds, often it was their 'last' chance to do something. I didn't do training but was a sort of mentor, support type person.

Just said goodbye to all of them and it was quite emotional

handlemecarefully Mon 21-Mar-05 13:43:22

That does sound like a rewarding job - sigh. Feeling sad for you....

Hayls Mon 21-Mar-05 13:52:04

THanks I'm too

handlemecarefully Mon 21-Mar-05 14:21:59

There is a very strong possibility I will be made redundant soon. My Hospital will be loosing circa 150 posts and my job fits the criteria for redundancy. Will find out for sure very soon. Dh is baulking at the loss of £1K per month (after tax and childcare)

Hayls Mon 21-Mar-05 14:28:53

Oh dear, sorry to hear I'm not the only one. I'm so shocked , not so much that it actually happened but that it happened so quickl. We've been told that we can come in spend time here doing whatever we need to get a new job so I'm surfing the job pages (via Mumsnet). Ive decided not to do any more work until I go on Wednesday. We were just atarting to enjoy a bit extra every moth after a year's mat leave with only ssp...
I think I may have to change my career choice. It just seems too unstable to be in this line of work when dd is on the scene but I don't really know what my other options are. TBH, I spent 4 years at uni so I'd like to make full use of my supposed skils if I can. I feel that I've served my time in an office and would hate to go back now.
Thanks for listening HMC, I'm so sorry to hear about your job. Really hope it doesn't come to redundnacy for you

lars Mon 21-Mar-05 14:30:08

Hayls, sorry to hear of your bad news. The thing is you do have experience, which will help you no doubt to work with young people. Not everyone is suitable for this kind of work, but you sound like that you find the work rewarding and obvioulsy enjoy it. Don't loose hope, I feel another career is waiting for you.
you know what they say as one door closes another one opens.
Good luck Larsxx

handlemecarefully Mon 21-Mar-05 14:42:20

Well Hayls,

Often enforced changes like this turn out for the good in the end.....

Hope it all pans out okay

Tortington Mon 21-Mar-05 19:51:22

i too might be being made redundant - and am in a similar social investmenty type job - although not exclusivley with youths.
have you asked for a copy of the redundancy policy? get one quick. mine says i am allowed one weeks pay for every year i havebeen there - and then those part time pro rata this down.
is there a personel department? ask them questions ovetr the phone get stuff in e - mails and make sure you have it in writing.

get a list of all the training courses - no mater how crappy they were at the time sent to you by personnel - you know "time management" "project skills" " working with people" that kind of useless bollocks - all looks good on a cv. police checks - very valuable in most lines of work

our local youth services is doing a thing where you can study to become a qualified youth worker - but you will have to work at youth cliubs on an unqualified rate - which isnt much - but if you can stick it for a couple of years whilst you do a youth and community qualification then you could look back on this and the first day of the rest of your life.

also - depending on your finances ofcourse - askat the local college or university about how much it would be for you to get a youth work qualification - seek out local youth clubs and offer to help out - they may have a training budget - you wont get paid - but it will not be dead time on your cv and you will have another reference. have to go as ironically - i have to pick up dh - who is running a youth club - will think some more and get back to you - keep us updated.

Hayls Tue 22-Mar-05 07:34:45

Thanks, Custardo. I actually already do one night a week in a youth club and do get paid for it because I have experience and a sort-of related degree (not Youth Work but social issues). I started the PT youth work course a couple of years ago but then dd came along and I haven't really caught up yet. Good advice about the CV, I'm going in tomorrow to use their printers, BRoadband etc to get mine up to date and have a look for some jobs. I got some from the web yesterday so I'm hoping to send them off asap. And will be sure to mention all the useless bits of information like my police check and minibus test! I don;t think they have a redundnacy policy as such, they told me I'd be entitled to 2 weeks pay (I'll have been there for 2 years and 1 week when the notice runs out!)

DH was an absolute gem last night. HE said that we'll be fine and if I haven't found something by the time my pay runs out we can use our savings if we need them. So I might not end up doing a crappy job to tide me over, which would be so nice!

Feeling a bit calmer this morning and to top it all dd sleptreally well so I;'m not as tired any more!

Tortington Wed 23-Mar-05 00:38:06

that sounds more upbeat hayls a little light at the end of the tunnel for you at least. hope things continue to improve xxx

bobbybob Wed 23-Mar-05 02:01:07

Hayls I am sorry to hear about your redundancy and glad that you have your training, experience and savings to help you. Having your dd already in nursery will be a great help in finding something else - one less thing to worry about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now