Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

My DH has just been informed that in 6 weeks he no longer has a job......help me to stop panicing

(10 Posts)
Tobermory Fri 28-Nov-08 10:04:16

Shit.
shitshitshit.

Im panicing, he needs me to be calm and cool while he panic about the money which is how we usually work.

Im finding that hard

Tobermory Fri 28-Nov-08 10:05:27

He hated it anyway and in a btter ecnomic climate would have been looking for somethign else.....but...

Ivykaty44 Fri 28-Nov-08 10:08:19

what do you both do at the moment?

Tobermory Fri 28-Nov-08 10:12:01

Im ateacher, currently work PT. Think it wuld be complicated to revert to FT in the short term but could do some supply and DH could look after DD.

DH has an engineering background, currently in business sales

glasgowstyle Fri 28-Nov-08 10:13:18

Hope things will work out xxx

Mercy Fri 28-Nov-08 10:14:25

Sorry to hear this.

Will your dh be getting any redundancy pay?

Ivykaty44 Fri 28-Nov-08 10:20:29

Tobermory, could you both work part time? or opposite to each other so you both look after dc and both work (getting full tax benifits)

dontbitemytoes Fri 28-Nov-08 21:17:54

would an increase in benefits go anyway to reassuring you? wftc etc

NorthernLurker Fri 28-Nov-08 21:30:47

Ok so the good news is you have few weeks to plan. Can you start doing supply right now and get some in before the end of term? Could friends etc rally round and look after your dd whilst you do that. That would allow you to build up a small cushion. Your dh needs to sit down now and update his cv then get it out there, Make contact with agencies and he should ring everybody he knows to see if anybody is taking people on. He should start looking at basic supermarket type jobs too so he knows whats out there and worst comes to worst he can always bring a little in that way - or office temping? As long as he can e-mail, type stuff up and use excel type things he should be able to do a bit of that? Something better is coming along for him I'm sure - in the mean time you justneed to keep ticking over.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 28-Nov-08 21:43:21

My friends are in the same position. They've taken a 1 year payment holiday from their mortgage which has relieved the immediate pressure immensely. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now