Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Need help with wage increase and benefits please.

(13 Posts)
Aimsmum Fri 18-Mar-05 11:03:55

Message withdrawn

misdee Fri 18-Mar-05 11:06:40

ask them to have another look.

Freckle Fri 18-Mar-05 11:09:35

Can you go to your local CAB? Some have a computer programme called a Quick Benefits Calculator and they can do a "better off" check, i.e. are you better off working or not.

Aimsmum Fri 18-Mar-05 11:15:43

Message withdrawn

amylou Fri 18-Mar-05 11:18:09

You poor thing! my heart goes out to you..

I think its awful the way all these councils, tax credit lot treat everyone.. I'm a lone parent too - one minute they are saying heres lots of money each month for you and the next its we are taking it all off you and you owe us!

My local council has a website where you can see how much council benefit you are entitled to or theres a good website - which tells you how much in every bit you are entitled to. thats a really good website and you can play around with your figures to see when you are better off.

I hope things sort themselves out for you.

Aimsmum Fri 18-Mar-05 11:32:38

Message withdrawn

Snugs Fri 18-Mar-05 11:35:04

Some benefits are calculated on a £ for £ basis (so you get £312 wage rise, benefits drop by same).

Some are on tiered levels.

And some - quite often Housing and Council Tax benefits - have a definite cut off point. Go over the cut-off by even a single pound and you will lose all the benefit. Sounds like this is what has happened to you.

If that is the case, can you maybe find out what the cut-off point is and then renegotiate your wage with your employers. Might be worth letting your wages drop back down by a few pounds (technically this is probably looked on as a type of fraud – but if the buggers force you into it…)

Freckle Fri 18-Mar-05 11:48:54

You could call them to find out. Most CABs offer a telephone service and it shouldn't be too difficult for them to do a check for you if you genuinely can't get there.

Aimsmum Fri 18-Mar-05 11:53:41

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Fri 18-Mar-05 12:11:38

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Fri 18-Mar-05 13:05:08

Message withdrawn

Freckle Fri 18-Mar-05 13:13:10

You would need to check with the individual bureau. Some do a drop-in whilst others operate an appointments system. Our local one is a drop-in, where you are seen on a first come, first served basis. Best time to turn it is when they open, or you may have a long wait.

Aimsmum Fri 18-Mar-05 22:18:18

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: