Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

VIRGIN ARE MONEY GRABBING IDIOTS-DO NOT TAKE A PHONELINE WITH THEM!!!

(19 Posts)
Pawslikepaddington Wed 19-Nov-08 11:18:23

I have been with them for five years, moved up the road and they don't service that area (uh, it's two roads up from the old house!!!) they charged me £251 and gave me three weeks to pay it (I had to pay it today to avoid a default-the payment was only due on the 5th November and a default notice got sent out on the 6th)! I've been a customer for 5 years for goodness sake, so much for loyalty. Christmas is now ruined and I feel so sad. Thank god I've already got dd's present or she wouldn't be getting anything.

tonton Wed 19-Nov-08 11:22:55

How awful! Your poor thing. I think you should write to someone senior there and complain.

Pawslikepaddington Wed 19-Nov-08 11:25:06

Didn't think of that tonton, thank you. I just feel so angry with then. Who has £251 hanging around to pay to evil conglomerates?

SoupDragon Wed 19-Nov-08 11:26:03

Why did they charge you £251??

SpecialOffer Wed 19-Nov-08 11:28:08

The best thing to do is contact Ofcom 020 7981 3040, as they are the company that deals with all complaints with TV phones etc, and they can give you advice. I have done a similar thing and got money back from BT!

guyFAwkesreQuiem Wed 19-Nov-08 11:29:06

<<<<<<<<is also wondering why they charged the OP £251>>>>>>>>

Pawslikepaddington Wed 19-Nov-08 11:29:15

£75 for cancelling tv, £75 for cancelling phone, and £75 for cancelling broadband, plus overall cancellation charge. I wanted to move it across-it is not my fault that they do not service the new house sad

Pawslikepaddington Wed 19-Nov-08 11:30:53

Will get on to ofcom, thanks special offer. Sorry if I am sounding sharp, I am so angry that they rip everyone off like this.

SoupDragon Wed 19-Nov-08 11:33:32

I don't understand why you got hit by cancellation charges when you've been with then 5 years.

Pawslikepaddington Wed 19-Nov-08 11:35:54

I was stupid and upgraded my tv package to a bigger one in june, so was in a new contract for the whole lot apparently.

SoupDragon Wed 19-Nov-08 11:37:28

Oh ar$e!

Pawslikepaddington Wed 19-Nov-08 11:41:41

I know-they want you to upgrade and have repeat tv or whatever, and charge you £100 for "installation", and then lump you with another £250 for leaving!

Pawslikepaddington Wed 19-Nov-08 11:42:26

Shall I write to Richard Branson (still want to call him Richard Branston! grin)

mum2taylor Wed 19-Nov-08 11:47:43

thats a load of rubbish!!! Dont let them get away with it....I had the same problem with them ... moved house and they treated me terribly....I wrote to The Judge in the Daily Mail newspaper who contacted them on my behalf and low and behold someone in head office called me offering me compensation and said I could cancel my contract if I still wasnt happy with the service....take it all the way!

AuntieMaggie Wed 19-Nov-08 11:47:58

My sister had this and has since cancelled and moved to BT.

They cut everything off without notice and then told her she owed them a 250 quid deposit that nobody had told her about and needed paying immediately.

They also blocked her free channels and deleted all her recordings on the box.

I don't think she paid any cancellation fees.

Pawslikepaddington Wed 19-Nov-08 11:58:34

They are dreadful aren't they (although I do remember having problems with BT back in 'the day', and so moved to virgin grin. I will write to the Daily Mail (although I don't read it, but mum did, so that is a feather in my cap!)

MamaChris Fri 21-Nov-08 20:35:52

Terrible that you've been charged cancellation charges! They don't tell you that when they try and encourage you to upgrade your packages do they?

But be glad you can't get them any more. We moved house a week ago. It took 4 days to get broadband back on, another 2 to get basic TV. We still don't have a phoneline and I've spent 15 quid on my mobile listening to a million different excuses. We won't have a full TV service till 13 December (that's the current estimate - but they haven't kept any promises to date, so don't believe that either).

Might have to buy the Mail to find address of that Judge person!

guyFAwkesreQuiem Fri 21-Nov-08 20:40:30

we had problems with Ntl year back, so decided to switch back to BT............just a few months later we decided that NTL were the best of a bad bunch and went back to them and have been with them ever since grin

(although it's a complete bugger that they want to effectively charge me £120 to change the account to my name since exH moved out). I have been paying that bill for about 5yrs now, out of my account (we never had a joint account), so if I were to get it transferred I would have to pay

the current months bill under the current name (usually around £40)
£20 "transfer" fee on that account name
Then as they would effectively be setting up a new account (which would mean new emails addresses etc apparently as well!) I would have to pay about £80 (1 months charges, plus month in advance or something stupid like that)

LoveBeingAMummy Sun 30-Nov-08 20:24:06

I now e-mail directly the man in charge whether I am annoyeed or very pleased. Generally fine its the best way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now