Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PLEASE HELP!!!

(19 Posts)
yeye Sat 12-Mar-05 14:23:27

Hello. me, my dh and my ds are currently renting a one bedroom apt and the rent is $875.00, 5 months ago my sister offered me her 3 bedroom house for only $1,000. Around where I live (orange county) to rent a house it usually goes from 1,400 and up. Basicly shes giving me a really good deal. So, we took it and we are supposed to move next week. Yesterday my sisters dh called my dh and said that the rent for the house is too cheap and now he is planning to raise the rent $200-$300 more after 8 to 9 months of living at his house.And also he wants us to babysit his 2 children once a week 9 hrs for free. My sister usually gives me 40.00 a week for baby sitting the children but now my sisters dh wants it for free because he feels like he's getting ripped off by renting his house for $1,000 and by giving us $40.00 a week to baby sit his children.
Also since he's not asking for security deposit we have to clean his house, paint the walls and change the carpet for the whole house. I dont know if this is fair or not. If i dont take this deal i know i will not get a house to rent for this price but the thing is my sisters dh already complained so many things and telling us that he's not happy with the rent and we didnt even move in yet. I just dont want to move in and everything will get worse. He even told us that the carpet and the whole house should be clean when we move out even it was dirty the time we moved in which i dont have a problem. But the thing is he already complained too much and we dont even live at his house yet. I dont know if I should move in to his house or just stay where I am. Please help , i am really confused and for some reasons my dh doesnt care where we move to.
Should i stay or move?
my sisters dh also told us by moving to his house he's doing us a big favor. He keeps telling us that he can always find someone who will rent it for more than $1000. What pissed me off is I never asked him if we can move in nor asked him to rent his house for $1000. He offered us and we accepted it but now he's making it a big deal.
What should I do now?? PLEASE HELP!!!

80sMum Sat 12-Mar-05 14:26:40

You need to get everything in writing. Have a proper rental agreement drawn up, otherwise your bil can change his mind and increase the rent or add on conditions at will.

laneydaye Sat 12-Mar-05 14:30:28

TELL HIM TO GET STUFFED!!!!

No seriously i would sit down with your sis and ask whats happened, why the change of minds etc etc..
Maybe they had a row and thats the only way he thinks he can get at her!
Not sure really but its a bit shitty and you did have an oral contract, so its not very fair to go back on an agreement... especially with your sister..

good luck yeye.xx

yeye Sat 12-Mar-05 14:33:15

The thing is if he raise his rent we wont be able to afford it. He is really complaining a lot. My dh's father is coming here to ca from nj because he's supposed to help us move and for some reasons he thinks he's gonna live with us and he said he's not cool with that but my dh's father is only visiting here and we keep telling him that. Everything was fine because my sister was giving me about $160.00 a month to babysit and now he wants me to babysit his children for free.
He also wants to leave all his junk stuff in the house and he doesnt want us to throw it out.And of course he said that we are responsible for everything all utilities. When we accepted the house he said he was going to pay for someone to cut the grass and he was going to pay for the garbage disposal and now he said he's not doing all that. He should have told us at least 1 month before we will move. Now, we are moving next week and he's changing everything.

yeye Sat 12-Mar-05 14:38:33

I talked to my sister and she said that she doesnt care anymore , she doesnt want to get between him and me. My sister doesnt have any power when it comes to her dh. She's soooo under him thats why i have to deal with him. My sister doesnt have any problem about the rent or babysitting but he does. If I dont babysit his kids for free he's gonna charge us 1,200-1,300 a month. I was thinking about not moving in and tell him I dont want to babysit his children with or without pay so that i dont have to deal with him anymore. I just feel bad about my ds because he doesnt have his own bedroom.

stitch Sat 12-Mar-05 14:40:00

stay put. dont move.
in fact, be homeless if you have to. but dont move into this mans house

stitch Sat 12-Mar-05 14:40:44

a room is not worth losing your self respect

yeye Sat 12-Mar-05 14:42:23

i think ur right stitch. If he complains so much now that we dont even live there and i havent done anything how much more when we live there. He can always kick us out.My dh wants a 3bedroom i just want peace

yeye Sat 12-Mar-05 14:48:05

This is how weird he is. his dd is 3 years old now. She got clothes when she was 1 month old and he doesnt want to give it away because its sentimental value. He got a gym set thats all rusty and its seriously more than 10 years old and he doesnt want to throw it away or sell it(even if he gives it for free no one will want it)
because its sentimental value, he spent his first paycheck on it.
I remember when I went to his new house and my ds saw a little piece of toy and he loved it so much and he wont leave his house without it so my sister said that he can borrow it as soon as my sisters dh saw my 3 yr old ds holding a toy that belongs to his 3 yr old dd, he tried to take it away and he said "this isnt yours, this belong to angie(his dd).

MrsBigD Sat 12-Mar-05 16:32:08

yeye I'd stir righ clrar of bil! he sounds like a real pain in the ...

laneydaye Sat 12-Mar-05 17:17:41

to put it politely yeye(WHAT A W***r) Shame your sis dosent stand up for herself and you, let him stew love and shove his junk up his a**e.....

Mud Sat 12-Mar-05 17:20:58

STAY WHERE YOU ARE

And tell him to f' off and tell your sister exactly what he's said

that is NOT the way family should react / behave.

He sounds like an incompetent pillock TBH

Mud Sat 12-Mar-05 17:22:27

the funny thing is he might get more rent by renting to people he doesn't know but there'll also be other costs and deterioration and they'll be responsible for maintenance

kid Sat 12-Mar-05 17:33:10

Def stay where you are. How can you be sure he won't change more things once you are already living there.
It would be lovely to have a bigger home, but would it be worth all the extra stress and worries from your bil?

loudmum Sat 12-Mar-05 17:37:38

stay where you are for all the excellent reasons already given... your BIL is a t*** and you don't want him to have any hold over you -- I guess the minute you move in he will make more and more demands

extra rooms won't give you peace of mind

yeye Sun 13-Mar-05 10:49:30

thank you all for your advice. Today my dh is going to tell him straight up that we are not moving out because of his too much complaints and we're not even his tenants yet. What pissed me off also because we moved all the way from nj to ca so i can live closer to my sister and now they are giving me all these crap that i dont need. Theres no such thing as free babysitter. I dont mind babysitting my nieces but i dont want it to make my responsibility that i have to do it in order for him to give us cheaper rent. He never mentioned that when we agreed to rent the house. Now that we're supposed to move next week, he's telling us all these demands. You all are right. So what if its the last minute that we change our mind he did the same thing. Its about time he gets to taste his own medicine!!!

yeye Sun 13-Mar-05 12:06:32

i have a problem I already given notice to the apartment, do you guys think i can back out? do you think the management will let me stay? i never done this before

Mud Sun 13-Mar-05 13:00:33

you need to ask them straight away, chances are they may already have let it out, but maybe not, but you'll need to sort it out quickly

yeye Wed 16-Mar-05 02:37:21

too late i already asked them they said that they already have a tenant waiting for me to move out
Ive been really pissed all day. We went to my brother in laws house and did so much work and when i got home my sister called and all she kept telling me was" well, did u get permission from my dh if u can cut the grass? oh did you get permission from my dh if you can do this or do that"
Who cares???? its freaking weed!!!! you dont want that to grow you have to keep it low. So i told her that i dont want to deal with her. Shes so anal about everything i do. I understand coz its her house also but i am not stupid enough to do something bad to the house. She has to remember that i will live there, of course i am trying to make it look nice and all she kept saying was i am making her house looks bad. I hope this doesnt go on and on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now