Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do I go about opposing local plans when I don't live in the exact right bit??? Ice rink plans going to wreck DD's school :(

(7 Posts)
Flamesparrow Tue 04-Nov-08 07:53:02

They want to build an ice rink (not "just" an ice rink, this giant monster of an ice arena thing iyswim) - they have 3 possible locations, the most popular being the area of DD's school.

To build it they would be using the playing fields shock (council owned not school owned), and it would also block all the light going into the nature area bit

There have been surveys sent out, but only if you live in x area around it.

I desperately want it built somewhere where it won't take away playing fields from any school, not just ours iyswim.

How do I add my voice??

RubySlippers Tue 04-Nov-08 07:54:48

you can go to the Council offices to view plans/planning applications as far as I know

give them a call

Your school should have plans though if their land is one of the proposed sites - can you ask them?

hauntinghippipotami Tue 04-Nov-08 07:59:37

Talk to those friends who have been sent the survey adn see if there is a reference number for the plans. You can then look the reference number up on your council website.
Alternatively, the planning section of your council website should have a search facility, pop in 'icerink, streetname' and you should find it.
You should be able to object online.

I objected to some houses being built at the end of my road but like you was too far away (odd, small road hmm) to be consulted. Luckily I found the application online and objected to it. (there was a whole survey to fill in!)

Good luck!

Tommy Tue 04-Nov-08 08:03:23

anyone can object to building proposals. The school will have been sent the plans See if the head and/or governors/PTA are doing anything and lend your support to them. Or, as rubyslipers has said, phone the planning dept of ther council and ask to see the plans. They will probabaly be online as well.

Write/email to the local councillors for the area as well and try and get them on board.

Good luck!

dilemma456 Tue 04-Nov-08 09:30:39

Message withdrawn

Flamesparrow Tue 04-Nov-08 14:15:50

ooh thank you

maxmissie Tue 04-Nov-08 14:38:44

As already said by others anyone can object to a planning application or consultation on a proposal, you don't have to live next to it, although it helps if you have a good reason for making comments, i.e it could be on the playing fields of your dd's school. You should make it clear in your letter that this is the background to why you have concerns, and you might want to add the following to dilemma's list :

- are they planning to provide alternative playing fields? government planning guidance on loss of playing fields normally expects replacement facilities to be provided which should be well related to the school (the only proviso against this would be if there are currently too many playing fields in the area);
- impact on school children - on their health, less facilities for them to use for sport etc
- loss of green space and its replacement with an ice rink, car parking etc will affect the visual amenities of the area, i.e. make it more built up, this argument would be strengthened if there isn't much green space in the locality;
- impact on the nature area and why it would be affected, e.g. the plants and animals that grow/live there need light etc

If possible you could check on the Council's website for their Local Plan and Proposals Map, which should show if the site is allocated for something specific or covered by a specific policy - you can then refer to the Local Plan document to see what the policy says and whether the proposal would conflict with it.

Re the tree preservation order (TPO) idea suggested by dilemma - you can ask the Council direct - usually in writing - (i.e. the planning department) to consider putting a TPO on any trees that are mature and contribute to the visual amenities of the area. They should then go out and make an assessment as to whether a TPO should be imposed or not.

Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: