Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What benefits am I entitled to?

(6 Posts)
TheOriginalXENA Sun 02-Nov-08 13:56:12

Am in a little of a panic as what to do...
A quick run down

DH left this morning

I have 4DC's

i currently work (and pay a c/m) but I work shifts so some evenings and weekends- will now be really hard with DH gone.
So what do I do? Can I give up work and claim any benefits (i'd rather not!) or should I try to find a live in nanny??

Thank you if you take the time to reply.

TequilaMockinBird Sun 02-Nov-08 14:06:52

So sorry to hear about your DH leaving sad

You will be entitled to tax credits if you carry on working and will probably be better off than you think.

Check here to see how much you could get

TequilaMockinBird Sun 02-Nov-08 14:08:02

Oh sorry just re-read the OP blush

You might be better finding a nanny if your cm will not work evenings/weekends.

Tax credits will usually cover some (but not all) of the cost.

SmugColditz Sun 02-Nov-08 14:10:40

Argh nightmare!

How old are your kids, would an au pair do? A cm and aupair may be cheaper than a nanny.

You should get some help towards childcare now that you are on your own, unless you are on a really high income (by this I mean over 50 grand). Have a word with your Cm to see if she could cover the shifts for at least a bit, or if your eldest is over 14 maybe he/she could hold the fort for a few weeks?

You need

TheOriginalXENA Sun 02-Nov-08 16:52:40

Thanks for replying. Being in the sticks the phone line - and thus the BBand- went down as it was abit windy!
So do you think keep working is the answer? I can cover myself for the next three weeks (spent the day sorting it)
Colditz - I looked into the aupair again today but because I will now need to rely on Tax credits (which I can't use to pay an aupair) I think a nanny is the only answer. Which is awful for the children as they love their childminder sad. The other thing of course is that the local nanny agency wants 3 x net weekly salary.

TequilaMockinBird Sun 02-Nov-08 19:43:14

Xena, The best thing to do is probably to go onto (I linked in above post) and put in different scenarios to see how much you could get.

I think Tax Credits pay up to about 70% of the childcare cost so it may not work out that expensive for you once you take that into account

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: