Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

WWYD? Need advice from MINers who know about property/money ans the currant climate

(17 Posts)
DippyDora Thu 30-Oct-08 11:38:50

We have a house which is worth £15000 less than what we paid for it.
We put down a £18,000 deposit on it.
We have about £5000 equity in the house.

We love our house but not our neighbours - they are the neighbours from hell. They have vandalised our car and they are just horrible.

We have the chance to move through work. We would get a relocation package of £23,000. This would have to cover all moving costs, hipp pack, estate agents fee's and solicitor costs.
We would also need £15,000 to put down a deposit on our next property.

The town we can move is not great as a whole but is going through massive regeneration. We would be able to buy a better house in a better area with a cheaper mortgage.

Moving would also mean I wouldn't lose my part time job which fits around my husbands hours nicely.
We work for the same firm. If we dont move he will keep his job but I will lose mine.

Would you move or stay??

Tortington Thu 30-Oct-08 11:41:05

move

Lizzylou Thu 30-Oct-08 11:42:46

Move, definitely

tissy Thu 30-Oct-08 11:45:02

if you can find the £15,000, move

DippyDora Thu 30-Oct-08 11:54:47

We should be able to find to make the £15000 using the equity in our house and the money thats left from the relocation package

DippyDora Thu 30-Oct-08 12:07:41

I think we should move asa well, but taking a loss on our house is hard to do

goblinvalley Thu 30-Oct-08 12:12:02

It is a bit of a bummer, but you can get a better house in a better area with less mortgage.

Wanna hand packing grin

penona Thu 30-Oct-08 12:12:03

I would move if I were you. The loss is a bummer but I am guessing the next house you buy will be cheaper too so that is good for you and will hopefully offset it.
But sorry to be a party pooper, will you be able to actually sell your house?

DippyDora Thu 30-Oct-08 12:16:13

We've had an offer penona.

We put our house on the market to see what sort of offers we would get and we had one that was £15,000 less than we brought for

DippyDora Thu 30-Oct-08 16:43:17

Would appreciate as many opinions on this as possible

ksld Thu 30-Oct-08 16:49:59

Move - taking a hit on the price you paid is really crap, but your comfort and sanity are more important. Move away from your horrid neighbours and just forget about the money - in 5 years time it will mean nothing anyway as hopefully your new house will go up in value?

findtheriver Thu 30-Oct-08 18:20:17

If you have a 5k equity then I'm a little confused about the 15k issue. You won't need to 'find' 15k because fortunately your house is still worth a little more than your mortgage on it, yes? So what you actually paid is irrelevant. Psychologically it's not nice to feel you're getting less than you bought it for, but tbh that's just 'virtual money', not real money.

Move - definitely. It sounds like a good and relatively stressfree solution to a horrible situation. I know any move is stressful so I'm not saying that glibly - but honestly, a relocation package and a chance to get away from awful neighbours is a great chance.

findtheriver Thu 30-Oct-08 18:21:53

Sorry have re-read and understand you need 15k deposit. But you have that and more, through the relocation package. Go for it!

Sidge Thu 30-Oct-08 18:25:59

Looks pretty black and white to me:

For the move: keep both jobs, move to better house in better area away from hideous neighbours.

Against the move: um, I can't see anything really!

yomellamoHelly Thu 30-Oct-08 18:37:25

Move.
Over time your awful neighours'll wear you both down. I have friends who put up with neighbours from hell for 3 years and eventually split. Lack of sleep had a huge impact on them.
You will also in theory be spending the same percentage less on your next property and you'll get for selling your current property (if that makes sense) - assuming you aren't downsizing - so you aren't losing out overall.
Plus you get to keep what sounds like one of those holy grail type jobs. (Wish I had one.)
Plus if it's an up and coming area and you aren't planning on making a profit in the short term you may stand to gain more anyway.

CarGirl Thu 30-Oct-08 18:40:48

Move!!!!

cluckyagain Thu 30-Oct-08 18:41:56

MOVE - no brainer!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now