Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

If you haven't made a will then it's willaid next month

(16 Posts)
TheBlonde Wed 29-Oct-08 08:32:09

Will Aid: Get a free will in November

mse info on willaid

needmorecoffee Wed 29-Oct-08 08:40:22

How does one choose guardians for the kids when no-one wants to do it?
Thats what stopping us. in-laws will take the two teenage boys if they * have* too but they refuse to take dd cos she is disabled (they wont even look at her) and there's no-one else sad

DuffyMoon Wed 29-Oct-08 09:27:21

Needmorecoffee.....thats awful, i am shocked that family can even think like that nevermind voice their opinions......

jellyjelly Wed 29-Oct-08 10:45:07

Hellotry not to let that stop you, you need to look out for them while you are here. If you dont she would i think go into foster care or all of them would.

I have to think about mine and i am a single parent. Its not nice but i would much rather have some input this side whilst i can speak for myself.

Good luck what ever you choose.

TheBlonde Wed 29-Oct-08 15:32:12

You should go ahead and do a will anyway
Guardianship can be covered separately and isn't legally binding anyway

TheBlonde Sun 02-Nov-08 17:59:42


DippyDora Sun 02-Nov-08 18:06:31

How do you choose Guardians when you dont know anyone who you would want to raise your children?

TheBlonde Mon 03-Nov-08 10:12:06

you don't bother
you just hope for the best ie that you will live

hanaflower Mon 03-Nov-08 10:13:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

S1ur Mon 03-Nov-08 10:16:08

Thanks Blonde must get round to it this time!

AbricotsSecs Mon 03-Nov-08 10:19:25

Message withdrawn

Spaceman Mon 03-Nov-08 10:21:10

This looks great. What a fab idea.

Bienchen Mon 03-Nov-08 10:23:38

Thanks, DH never got round to this and it is so important.

Kewcumber Mon 03-Nov-08 10:28:48

needmorecoffee - I have nominated a guardian who will not in all likelihood be able to take DS as she will be too old however as his guardian it will be her job to decide the best thing for him if the worst happens. Thast gives enough flexibility that he can go to whomever is most appropriate at the time. Is there someone you trust to make the right decision who you can discuss it with?

No-one is ever the right person to rais your children and their needs change over time so the right person now might not be the right person in 10 years time.

Thansk for link though I haven't got around to this.

chutneymary Mon 03-Nov-08 10:39:09

Kewcumber is right - the person you appoint by will as guardian does not have to be the person who would take your children to live with them in the event you went under a bus - it is simply the person who you want to have a say in their upbringing.

Obviously, if you have got an plan as to who will have the children if you die before they are grown up, so much the better. The legal guardian bit is very different.

Needmorecoffee - am very sorry to hear that. sad

Kewcumber Mon 03-Nov-08 10:44:30

if misery loves company needmorecoffee - DS would most likely go to either my sister (who has already said that she would send him to a "lovely boarding school, money no object" sad) or my slightly deranged brother.

Rock/hard place.

Plan: stay alive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: