Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

exp owes me £3000- can i get it back?

(17 Posts)
Lorelei97 Tue 21-Oct-08 22:15:37

12 years ago when i was at university i loaned my then boyfriend £3000 as he was in serious debt (not to mention i used my student loan and an overdraft for it). when we broke up he agreed to make payments of £50 a month til it was paid off- i thought that was very reasonable of me. He signed a piece of paper I wrote detailing this. In the last 12 years I have had about 200 back from him and thats it- am just wondering if I have any grounds to get it back from him?
any advice greatly appreciated!

deco Tue 21-Oct-08 22:23:40

you can prob take him to the small claims court i would think. maybe try CAB?

scaryfucker Tue 21-Oct-08 22:29:14

personally, I would get the boys round wink

Lorelei97 Tue 21-Oct-08 22:38:04

lmao have thought about that many a time! in the first few years after we broke up he had two children with someone else and kept asking me if he could postpone the payments. given he had two kids i agreed but think he is taking the piss now as they are now well older and both he and his wife have fairly good jobs. he did disapear for a while- changed number e.mail etc but have recently found him in facebook and have his work address- didnt know whether a solicitor would take me seriously or not given its just written on a piece of paper but does have his signature and is my money after all. i do think that i have been fair to him but its getting to the stage i either do something about it or just forget it! hmmmm
thank you for the advice- definitely food for thought lol

scaryfucker Tue 21-Oct-08 22:43:00

yanbu in not letting it drop

he thinks you will give in if he ignores you for long enough

seriously, ring the CAB, they must have dealt with lots of similar situations

don't roll over, that is your money !

Lorelei97 Tue 21-Oct-08 22:54:13

thank you i know your right!!! men eh! you are so right in that he hopes i am just going to leave it! 3000 is a lot of money and i am still paying it off trying to pay off student loans of which that was a big part! why should i be in debt over him???? yeah thank you scaryfucker will be ringing cab first thing in the morning!

BoffinMum Tue 21-Oct-08 23:03:24

Try the small claims court - less than £100 to take a case online and it's incredibly easy. And if he doesn't pay up, I am reliably informed a donkey's head on the pillow usually does the job.

Lorelei97 Tue 21-Oct-08 23:09:26

lmao now that will send him a message not to piss about anymore i think lol

is it really only 100? thats not bad really i thought sometimes it would cost me just as much to pursue it! now that is good news!

Lorelei97 Tue 21-Oct-08 23:11:38

he lives in england and I live in northern ireland- that shouldn't matter as its all the uk- but would i have to travel if it went to court? sorry if that is a daft question!

Lauriefairycake Wed 22-Oct-08 00:19:21

it will probably be done at the Northampton bulk centre, here's the web address

www.moneyclaimonline.gov.uk

Freckle Wed 22-Oct-08 05:46:57

When did he last make a payment or acknowledge the debt in any way - preferably in writing? If more than 6 years ago, you may be stuffed.

ninedragons Wed 22-Oct-08 05:55:41

I'd ring him at work, tell him you need repayment now or you'll have to speak to his boss/HR department about it.

Embarrassment is a fairly heavy-duty weapon.

ninedragons Wed 22-Oct-08 05:56:51

Do you know where his parents live? Ring them too.

DreamingOfAxl Wed 22-Oct-08 17:31:38

I had verbal agreement with sister, she owes me £2000, CAB said it was a valid agreement, she has paid £150 in the last three years. CAB advised small claims court but said what usually happens is they make first few payments then stop so you have to take them back to court and it goes on and on and on.

Lorelei97 Wed 22-Oct-08 17:45:53

Thank you everyone for the advice- i rang cab and spoke to someone who isnt sure whether i have a case or not because of the time limit... so she is finding out and ringing me back tomorrow! it has been a long time since i have anything in writing- i stupidly deleted some e.mails from him a few years ago. I do have a cheque that he wrote me about 3 years ago and then asked me not to cash as he said he had no money! thank god we broke up looking back!
He is self employed now has a web business so not sure i can embarass him much lol but id like to try! dont know where his folks are now either. I dont want to be getting involved in his life now and causing any upset but think i deserve it back and it would help me out a lot. Thank you lauriefairycake for the link just had a look and its quite informative! am definitely pursuing this if i can!

Lauriefairycake Wed 22-Oct-08 17:51:46

The cheque within 3 years proves he owes and was going to pay you the money (photocopy it) and it also means that it is pursuable in court. If it had been more than 6 years old with no contact between you and him then it wouldn't be.

The cheque is all you need to prove it. That link means that you do all of it online - it's the court system online not a company or anything you have to go through.

Good luck smile

Lorelei97 Wed 22-Oct-08 18:00:11

oohh thats good news! it actually contributed to our break up because after 3 years with him, 2 1/2 before i lent him and 6 months after i realised that he had no intention of paying me back and actually didn't even pay back debts I had lent him money to do! it is really bad news to let money become involved in a relationship! at least i found out what he was really like soon enough and my poor dp now knows better than to ask me for money. we do everything 50/50- has made me quite cynical tho! lesson to anyone out there thinking of lending a loved one money- dont do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now