Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Wheres best place to put my dds child trust fund cheque ?

(7 Posts)
mumofdjandbabies Mon 20-Oct-08 14:33:58

want to send it off, not go in somewhere

thanks

bellabelly Mon 20-Oct-08 14:43:52

Lots of places you can set the fund up online and then just post off the voucher.

One thing I would say is that at the moment it's not a great time to put it in a CTF that is linked to the ftse (we did thsi with our twins' vouchers last year and they have actually LOST value because share prices have fallen so much). If I were opening an account now I would go for a savings one, with a view to moving it to a stakeholder fund when share prices seem to be on the way up again...

We are with teh Children's Mutual but here are LOADS of places you can go - have you been sent the pack explaining all teh different providers?

Honneybunny Tue 21-Oct-08 20:11:29

why not put it into a ctf linked to ftse?

doesn't it it all depend on how much lower you think they are going to fall... i guess it is quite difficult to determine when you have reached (rock)bottom, but some people seem to think that we have by now. in roughly 6 weeks the ftse100 has fallen from 5500 to 4000. if you buy into it now you get more for your money than you would have 6 weeks ago.
this of course is a bitter pill for those who bought into ftse-related ctf-s before the crash and whose ctf-s are now worth less than before(like bellabelly, and also we have for our dc-s), but then again, these funds take 18 years to mature, and by that time the market will (hopefully for us) have risen again surely.

i do agree that it is a difficult choice to make though: where to put the ctf money. and wish you good luck with it! smile

hf128219 Tue 21-Oct-08 20:14:18

CTF is obviously a long term investment. Go for a stakeholder - probably somewhere like F&C.

mumofdjandbabies Tue 21-Oct-08 20:20:06

thanks guys looking inot all the options now

Honneybunny Tue 21-Oct-08 21:15:09

F&C is where we have ours

CuppaTeaJanice Tue 21-Oct-08 21:23:46

F&C too. Went for a shares one rather than stakeholder, as the yields seemed to be better and the costs lower.

Prob really good time to get a shares acc at the moment, while share prices are really low.

Moneysavingexpert usually has good advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now