Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

refund of deposit paid

(6 Posts)
kiwibella Mon 20-Oct-08 13:54:12

My daughter finished at her nursery in February and we are (well-over) due the refund of our deposit paid as well as two overpayments of childcare vouchers. We waited the six months that the nursery said it could take for a deposit to be refunded before making calls to query the delay.

We have spoken to the office person and the owner who both assured us that it was coming (the owner said she had the letter in front of her). My husband wrote to the nursery to advise that in 28 days we will proceed with legal action to have this money recovered. That time is now up... and I am astonished that the nursery has not responded and, essentially, is prepared for us to go ahead.

I am feeling stunned so I am really looking for some advice / experience.

Flossish Mon 20-Oct-08 13:57:22

can you contact trading standards?

When we had problems with a new car a few months ago their involvement was sufficient to get us some of our money back without going to court.

28 days was IMO too long!! 10 working days would have been sufficient.

LadyMuck Mon 20-Oct-08 14:03:22

Or try small claims court. Here is a guide.

kiwibella Mon 20-Oct-08 14:14:08

thanks... LM small claims is what I meant by legal action - and hubs stated this in his letter.

Is this a matter for trading standards?

The interesting thing I that since we have been pursuing this I have learned that we are not the only ones to be treated like this. If there is a way to make others aware, I would love to go there.

monkeymonkeymonkey Mon 20-Oct-08 14:16:32

I would get your claim in sooner rather than later, especially if there are other people in the same position as you. If the nursery is in financial trouble and goes under then you could end up with nothing.

kiwibella Mon 20-Oct-08 14:20:44

I had that thought too Monkey.

They seem to have a historical tradition of being difficult refunding deposits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now