Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

account in wrong name?

(8 Posts)
Lainie Mon 07-Mar-05 11:16:52

Hi, My ex has opened an account for our daughter using his surname not our daughters, only her first name and his address, What would happen if he died? she has no I.D in this name so wouldnt be able to get her money. Is this fraud? I had to provide birth certificates to open accounts for my other kids. any advice would be much appreciated, Thanks, Lainie x

coppertop Mon 07-Mar-05 11:20:49

Having recently opened an account for our 2 boys I know that you need official ID to open a child's account. Dh had to take his passport, the ds'es birth certificates and also some household bills. Banks are very strict these days due to money-laundering scams.

yoyo Mon 07-Mar-05 11:36:19

My parents have opened accounts for my children and they needed their birth certificates to do so.

Laylasmum Mon 07-Mar-05 11:43:08

Agree with yoyo and coppertop. effectively the person whos name is on that account doesn't exist does she?

coppertop Mon 07-Mar-05 11:46:45

If children are under 7 (I think!) then the person who opens the account is deemed to be the trustee until the account is switched over on the child's 7th birthday. Even so you still need the child's birth certificate to do this. Dh is the trustee for ds1 & ds2's accounts.

Lainie Mon 07-Mar-05 12:12:23

He does have a copy of her birth certificate but it clearly states another surname and address. He has had an account there for many years, maybe they trusted him???????? she is now 9. could she change the name herself? Lainie x

yoyo Mon 07-Mar-05 12:40:27

They ought not to accept copies (unless you mean the duplicate one you can get when you register a birth). My parents definitely needed the originals as I sent them registered post. If she is 9 has she been given her own passbook/card?

coppertop Mon 07-Mar-05 13:03:49

I had been with my bank for 15 years. When I enquired about opening a child's account I was told I still needed to bring all the relevant ID. I don't have a passport or driving licence so dh had to arrange it all instead.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: