Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

So last night we went to look at a car, we liked it, put £100 deposit on it BUT

(10 Posts)
AnAngelWithin Sun 19-Oct-08 10:41:13

now DH is having second thoughts. (when we rang they said it had full service history but when we got there and looked at the paperwork, the last time it was serviced was in 2005, they themselves hadn't actually had it serviced) It was a private seller. Me and the woman both signed a bit of paper saying I had paid £100 deposit and the remaining balance (just over £5000) to be paid by 30/10/08 (when we planned to bring a bankers draft and pick the car up) But he is also worried about loosing the deposit! What am I supposed to do?? If I ring them and say we have had second thoughts then they might (understandably) get angry with me? Where do we stand??

sweetcat Sun 19-Oct-08 11:02:29

Well, they may try to keep your deposit but I would point out that FSH means just that, and if it hasn't been serviced for 3 yrs then it hasn't got a FSH has it?

Hopefully they will be reasonable about it, good luck!

nannyL Sun 19-Oct-08 11:26:21

I agree

you thought you were buying a car with a full servce history an that was what your deposit is for

it has been described incorretly and is not what it says it is, so as far as i see it you shoul be entitiled to your deposit back, and they should relise that they are bending the truth lieing and may describe it more accurately for the next person

AnAngelWithin Sun 19-Oct-08 11:33:06

it wasnt advertised as having a FSH, but when i rang to ask them they said it had.

ilove Sun 19-Oct-08 11:34:44

Ask them to get it serviced before you pick it up, at a dealers?

Freckle Sun 19-Oct-08 11:36:48

Point is, you knew about the actual service history before you paid the deposit, so you can't say that you were misled.

I suspect that, if you try to pull out now, they will be fine about it but you will probably have to kiss goodbye to your deposit.

AnAngelWithin Sun 19-Oct-08 11:38:26

thats what i thought freckle. TBH im just more cross with DH than anything! if he had doubts at the time why the hell didn't he say something??

monkeymonkeymonkey Sun 19-Oct-08 11:39:39

It sounds like you knew that it didnt have a full service history at the time you signed the bit of paper?

Of does the bit of paper you signed say that the car has a full service history?

TBH if you know that it didnt have a FSH at the point where you signed the agreement then I would say you dont have any right to expect the deposit back.

AnAngelWithin Sun 19-Oct-08 11:42:58

i'm not expecting the deposit back. DH said it was ok that it hadnt got FSH, that we could get that done ourselves anyway.

monkeymonkeymonkey Sun 19-Oct-08 11:44:41

If you dont expect the deposit back then I think you are OK to back out, as that is what the deposit was there to guarantee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now