Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How in the current cliamte are you coping?

(19 Posts)
Sunshine78 Sat 18-Oct-08 16:34:37

We both work and have free child care in the form of Grandparents and even with cutting back and only having a small mortgage we are struggling. How are you coping also I appreciate some dont have the choice not to work but how are families with only one income coping - some I see around where I live appear to be coping better than us (they have new clothes and so do kids bo castoffs and making do with last winters clothes)

ranting Sat 18-Oct-08 16:39:53

Well we are better off than some and worse off than others, I suppose, like most people.

I went back to work 6 months ago so we're not feeling it as bad as some but dh is very careful about heating and electric, so we don't waste a lot of money, as soon as I went back to work he had me forking out for loft insulationhmmgrin, that's the type of bloke he is.

We don't buy new clothes very often though, is that an indicator of prosperity then?

FAQ Sat 18-Oct-08 16:42:17

I'm doing ok - my DS's have brand new clothes and shoes, but I make cut backs in other areas (the heels on my boots were not only out completely but were also dangerous - having the same effect as those "heelies" shoes with wheels in the heels......except it was bloody dangerous - and they were like it for 3 months before I replaced them.......)

Sunshine78 Sat 18-Oct-08 16:45:38

Buying new clothes is a sort of sign of prosperity as you either have to haqve money to buy them or room on a credit card - I have no money and so as not to get into trouble do not sue my credit card. I feel either people know something I dont as to how to sail through the credit crunch without it affecting them or they are all in for a shock when the credit card bill comes in!

Twiglett Sat 18-Oct-08 16:47:50

We've never been conspicuous consumptors so to be honest we've barely noticed any difference

oh and we made energy saving measures 6 months back and are benefitting from credit in our gas/elec account which we also fixed

and we're on fixed rate mortgage

and I've started shopping in Lidl just because

so maybe I have noticed .. but I've been splashing out on loads of new books in an odd sort of 'I deserve a treat / my kids deserve these' way

Twiglett Sat 18-Oct-08 16:47:53

We've never been conspicuous consumptors so to be honest we've barely noticed any difference

oh and we made energy saving measures 6 months back and are benefitting from credit in our gas/elec account which we also fixed

and we're on fixed rate mortgage

and I've started shopping in Lidl just because

so maybe I have noticed .. but I've been splashing out on loads of new books in an odd sort of 'I deserve a treat / my kids deserve these' way

FAQ Sat 18-Oct-08 16:51:08

I'd say it was a sign of prosperity if it was Gap, Next, Boden - not sure that Matalan, Asda, Tesco and Woolies are quite so propserous.

As I said - I make cut backs in other areas to make sure my DS's have new clothes - those boots I mentioned were my ONLY pair of everyday shoes I nearly twisted my ankle more times than I could count........

mamalovesmambo Sat 18-Oct-08 16:53:53

no - we both lost our jobs earlier in the year, we have lost 4 months wages so far, then I lost my job again yesterday and it's my birthday today. I am feeling lower than low, and we might get reposessed, even though we have been paying every month, seems that companies are not exercising any leniance whatsoever. We are well and truly fucked. I am so sad and have spent my birthday crying my heart out.

Chocolateteapot Sat 18-Oct-08 16:58:37

We are on a fixed rate mortgage until September next year , I'm vaguely nervous about remortgaging then. Electricity and gas are the same as last year as we've cut back.

I usually have second hand clothes for the children as I have lovely friends who hand them down to us. We have taken one car off the road for now as we weren't using it enough to justify it. Have also scrapped extension and are reorganising house to make better use if space instead

AuraofDora Sat 18-Oct-08 17:01:42

mamalovesmambo
so so sorry to hear that, if you have been paying every month surely they cannot reposess?
they are talking about a halt on repossessions in the usa for a few months, (well i heard obama say it once) maybe that will happen here too?
there are lots in same boat (dh made redundant recently, and i know its really no fun)..take care, keep positive..and happy birthday too!
it will get better, it has too...its just the stress that can get on top of you..

Chocolateteapot Sat 18-Oct-08 17:03:05

Mamalovesmambo, so sorry to hear this. I know birthday wishes are probably inappropriate at the moment so instead I shall keep my fingers crossed for you that things improve very soon and that this time next year, how you are feeling now is a distant memory.

FAQ Sat 18-Oct-08 17:04:27

MLM sorry to hear this - I'm sure they won't repossess - have you rung and spoken to them? Even in this climate some lenders are still prepared to give leeway for a while if you tell them in advance.

sunshine185 Sat 18-Oct-08 17:07:34

sorry mamalovesmambo you are feeling so low especially on your birthday (happy birthday btw) can you speak to your mortgage company and ask for a mortgage break? keep your chin up and i am sure you and your dh will be back in jobs soon.

lucky for us all those rogue restaurant type documentaries has put us off take aways and eating out so cut back came naturally there which has made a difference on top of other non essentials!!

mamalovesmambo Sat 18-Oct-08 22:06:35

oh, so sorry for not getting back to you! Thank you all so much for your good wishes and sorry OP for taking over slightly blush We have been in constant touch with them, DH went to court on Thursday, btw, DD was 2 on Monday, we are 5 days apart (OK plus lots of years!) They accepted a payment plan, but they had no notes on this, at court the bank and their solicitors had contradictory notes, the judge called them incompetent and apologised to DH for wasting his time, has been adjourned for 4 weeks, I will fight tooth and nail to keep our home.

FAQ Sat 18-Oct-08 22:21:50

finger's crossed for you then MLM - the courts prefer to try and sort things out for people to keep their home if it's at all possible so if you can show that you can keep to a reasonable payment plan things should do in your favour I hope.

findtheriver Sun 19-Oct-08 09:51:04

We're ok but both work full time and have minimal childcare costs now as kids are older.

I remember when our kids were small and interest rates were high though. We were in the trap of not having the luxury of being able to afford to live on one income, but when we both worked were paying through the nose for nursery fees. Anyone who gets free childcare should count themself very lucky from a financial viewpoint, though I suppose the downside is that you don't get the choice or control you might like about how your children are looked after.

I feel very sorry for families with younger children these days - I see many of them around me struggling to get out to work and pay their own way and they end up well and truly shafted.

AuraofDora Sun 19-Oct-08 14:25:47

good luck mlm i truly hope it works out for you guys, there is nothing worse than the looming threat of homelessness (have been there before and hey, could be heading same way again soon..)
good to hear your fighting talk!
channel the anger into energy and keep positive
all best to you all

stickybun Sun 19-Oct-08 23:15:19

MLM dont know if it's appropriate but have you tried CAb or Shelter for advice and information? Good Luck [smils]

Sunshine78 Mon 20-Oct-08 09:19:46

Just catching up got distracted over weekend. I hope everything works out mlm I'm not in your position but can imagine it must be very difficult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now