Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I have been told today that I am being made redundant and am 21 weeks pregnant.

(10 Posts)
lardybump Mon 13-Oct-08 16:44:23

I was wondering if there is anyone who could help me with a few questions.

I am being made redundant due to the credit crisis (I work in finance so I did expect it). I have been working for my company since Jan 2000, but left to have a baby in 2007 I decided not to go back so received my P45. A month later I was offered a part time job at same company so I went back in Jan 2008 it was on a new part time contract, that states "No previous employment with our I am being made redundant due to the credit crisis (I work in finance so I did expect it). I have been working for my company since Jan 2000, but left to have a baby in 2007 I decided not to go back so received my P45. A month later I was offered a part time job at same company so I went back in Jan 2008 it was on a new part time contract, that states "No previous employment with our group counts as part of any continuous period of employment." I have been working 28 hours a week.

My questions are:

A) As I have only been working since Jan this year and I am not aloud to count the previous period will I be entitled to redundancy pay.
B) Will I be eligible to any maternity benefit from the government?
c) If There was only a month between me handing my notice in and going back part time, do I have any grounds to request they count my previous period of work (I know this is a long shot but I am grabbing at straws).

lardybump Mon 13-Oct-08 16:46:02

Sorry I dont know what happened there. It should read.

I am being made redundant due to the credit crisis (I work in finance so I did expect it). I have been working for my company since Jan 2000, but left to have a baby in 2007 I decided not to go back so received my P45. A month later I was offered a part time job at same company so I went back in Jan 2008 it was on a new part time contract, that states "No previous employment with our group counts as part of any continuous period of employment." I have been working 28 hours a week.

My questions are:

A) As I have only been working since Jan this year and I am not aloud to count the previous period will I be entitled to redundancy pay.
B) Will I be eligible to any maternity benefit from the government?
c) If There was only a month between me handing my notice in and going back part time, do I have any grounds to request they count my previous period of work (I know this is a long shot but I am grabbing at straws).

lardybump Mon 13-Oct-08 17:26:17

Is there anyone that can help or offer any advise???? Please!!!!

mumoverseas Mon 13-Oct-08 17:28:55

Hey lardybump, hope you are ok and things ok with DP?
Not an expert on employment law but have you posted on employment thread? flowerybeanbag is fab and knows everything about employment law. Hope you get a positive response.
mumoverseas (also Feb bump!) good luck x

GrabShellDude Mon 13-Oct-08 17:29:29

Sorry would think your previous employment will not count.

Re-post this in Employment and somebody lovely and helpful like Flowerybeanbag will probably be along soon.

mrsy Mon 13-Oct-08 17:32:13

Yes you will be entitled lardy... i'm gonna find the page that i used, bear with me a tick.

lardybump Mon 13-Oct-08 17:36:51

Thanks for the advise I am goint to post in employment as well (I should of thought of that but my brain is in a mess at the moment.)

MOS dp and I are getting there but not back on track just yet. Thanks for asking

mrsy Mon 13-Oct-08 17:40:32

try this form which says as long as you were working somewhere before you fell pregnant you're entitled to AMP.

I was made redundant a few weeks ago, and as I'm making about as much money at my temp job as I was before, the government paid SMP will be about the same. They chose the highest paid ten weeks in a 15 week period (I think from 12-27 weeks?) and average it and that is what they use for the calculations. You then get 90% of that for 6 weeks and then about £120 a week for 33 weeks.

This may all be wrong, but it's what I've been advised!

Big virtual hugs, lardy...

CHOOGIRL Mon 13-Oct-08 21:34:38

My understanding is that to count as continuous employment the break needs to be no longer than one week. You have said it was a month so does not look continuous. You should get maternity pay, but redundancy pay will be at your employer's discretion if you haven't been there for the minimum period for statutory redundancy.

fishnet Wed 15-Oct-08 13:45:52

Hi

I'm afraid your continuity has been broken. You won'tbe entitled to redundancy pay unless your company's enhanced policy (if any) allows you to claim despite the break in continuity.

You will still get your maternity benefits though

sorry its not better news

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now