Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does anyone stooze? I think this is what we should have been doing but I never realised

(10 Posts)
enduringsurrey Sun 12-Oct-08 12:13:46

Message withdrawn

kaz33 Sun 12-Oct-08 13:38:17

Yes, in the good old Stoozing days of cheap credit and 0% transfer fees it was money for old rope. I had about £40,000 stoozed at one point.

But now credit card companies charge upto 3% for transfer fees and as now credit has dried up I am afraid that you missed the boat.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sun 12-Oct-08 13:48:41

I don't stooze in the true sense but I am a bit of a card tart; have quite a bit (regular purchases, petrol, food etc) on 0% credit at the moment with the money to cover it offsetting my mortgage.

janinlondon Mon 13-Oct-08 09:12:39

What Kaz said really. We did it for about four years, sometimes up to 100% of our mortgage, and saved about £20k in interest. But true 0% and no fee deals are pretty scarce on the ground now, and there is a further problem with the banking guarantee - if you have funds stoozed against your mortgage and the bank goes under, the £35k (or £50k) guarantee only applies AFTER they have taken your savings to pay off any debt. So effectively they can take all the money you are stoozing, leaving you in a pretty dismal situation. I think it is too late. Sorry.

UnfortunatelyMurderedMe Mon 13-Oct-08 13:55:18

I stooze, you need a egg card ideally(money back from quidco when you apply for one) As long as you are earning more in interest than the transfer fees and dont miss a monthly payment its nice to see the interest building up, free money

Prufrock Mon 13-Oct-08 14:03:05

Can't really do it anymore - most credit cards charge a 3% transfer fee for 6 months worth of 0% credit, so you pay 6% interest, which should be more than your mortgage if you've got a decent deal and plenty of equity.

The best thing to do now (and I know you are organised enough to manage it) is to take out a credit card that offers 0%, fee free, on all purchases for at least 6 months (first direct have a good deal atm). Spend on that and pay off only the minimum each month, keeping the rest in your mortgage account until the 6 months is up.

Of course, you need to be sure that if the bank did go under and offset your savings against outstanding mortgage, you could easily re-mortgage to replenish your cash flow. The good thing about the offset (which doesn't actually apply at Nationwide btw - there you'd be left owing whole mortgage and losing savings above £50k) is that you can have more than £50k safely in one institution.

enduringsurrey Mon 13-Oct-08 15:19:44

Message withdrawn

katch Mon 13-Oct-08 15:31:17

There's loads of this sort of info. on moneysavingexpert.com.

MrLSG Mon 13-Oct-08 16:15:03

Been stoozing for years, and still are. Currently got only £6k stoozed (courtesy of Abbey Zero card), but was at one time over £70k across a large number of cards.

Best site for up-to-date details is www.stoozing.com - they list 3 cards with 0% interest and no transfer fees: Abbey Zero, Ulster Bank Gold and ICICI.

mamhaf Sat 25-Oct-08 22:13:11

I've been small-scale stoozing for a few years...not enough to make a big dent on our mortgage, but enough to make a decent profit.

Not sure if the credit crunch means companies will have tightened up though - but we have the money banked to pay off the bills in full if we get refused more 0% cards when they expire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now