Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Just before you were about to buy the house you're living in, how did you feel?

(31 Posts)
ks Fri 04-Mar-05 15:02:57

Message withdrawn

dinosaur Fri 04-Mar-05 15:06:34

No, I was absolutely convinced it was my dream house.

And I still really like it, although it turned out to be in far worse shape than we originally thought and in fact we are just about to embark on a huge structure-rectifying project (gulp!).

But I was four months pregnant with DS1 and I think the nesting instinct had kicked in big time. Would be more objective (and cautious) if househunting now.

Serenequeen was, IIRC, very like you about her new house.

ks Fri 04-Mar-05 15:08:11

Message withdrawn

Pamina3 Fri 04-Mar-05 15:22:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Demented Fri 04-Mar-05 15:41:38

DH and I came to see this house, thinking we couldn't afford it (in Scotland we have an offers over system with house buying, most people are looking for at least 10% over the asking price). Thankfully we had discussed being cool, calm and collected, felt we were just going for entertainment value because there would be no way they would accept our low offer, a look passed between us which said this was THE house, it had the feeling for both of us and unbelievably the owners accept our offer which was only about 1% over the asking price.

Is this the dream house that you were talking about the other week or something different?

fastasleep Fri 04-Mar-05 15:42:18

I felt very pregnant very nesty and very unsure! Lol

Demented Fri 04-Mar-05 15:43:17

DH and I came to see this house, thinking we couldn't afford it (in Scotland we have an offers over system with house buying, most people are looking for at least 10% over the asking price). Thankfully we had discussed being cool, calm and collected, felt we were just going for entertainment value because there would be no way they would accept our low offer, a look passed between us which said this was THE house, it had the feeling for both of us and unbelievably the owners accept our offer which was only about 1% over the asking price.

Is this the dream house that you were talking about the other week or something different?

Demented Fri 04-Mar-05 15:43:33

Ooops!

Gem13 Fri 04-Mar-05 15:44:26

ks - are you leaving Surrey?!

hatsoff Fri 04-Mar-05 16:00:02

I wasn't sure...dh is is very laid back about these things and soon as anything vaguely "fits the bill" he's sold. I take time. My first feeling about current house was straight forward, no not for me. Now I love it. there are strengths I didn't see before moving in (strange thnigs like loving the landing, I mean, how can you love a landing...?)and the location is perfect. It's taken about 3 years to get rid of the tiny avocado bathroom but the garden, unfortunately is still the same size. Though I appreciate that anything bigger would by now be a jungle. I haven't seen you mention this - is it out where you are now or are you heading in towards London a bit?

dyzzidi Fri 04-Mar-05 16:04:08

We bought a brand new house and went from a two bed flat to a four bed house on three floors! I did not want to move at all as i loved the flat and now 9 months on i am pleased we did i love it but still feel a little lost in it sometimes as DP works abroad and most of the time it is just me. I didn't sleep for about a week before we signed but by the time the building was done I chilled out a little.

ks Fri 04-Mar-05 16:06:27

Message withdrawn

ks Fri 04-Mar-05 16:07:07

Message withdrawn

Prufrock Fri 04-Mar-05 16:25:06

How did I know this would be your thread ks.

As I think I mentioned, we have had our offer accepted on the house of my dreams. It was one we had tried to see when we first started looking (perfect location, looked from the outside exactly what we wanted) but it was taken off the market for the people who are now selling to us to buy. Now they have to move to Yorkshire and it will be ours.

The first time I saw it I loved it. By the time I got home from the viewing I was convincing myself we shouldn't buy it. DH saw the video I'd taken and wanted to see it, so we viewed again andI still wasn't sure. But practically it ticked all the major boxes. I wrote down all the pro's and cons (cons were things like - it has brass rather than chrome door handles so you can tell that it really is pretty perfect)

Emotionally I was still not sure. I really liked the house, I felt very comfortable in it, but I think part of the problem is that when, like us, you have been dreaming about your perfect house forever, you come up with so many different perfect houses that going for one of them means that you have to give up all your other dreams. For me that meant giving up the dream of renovating/rebuilding a wreck to my exacting standards and accepting something that had been built by somebody else which had 95% of the things I would have done anyway. And it also meant not having the nightmare of a young family and builders, and as dh reminded me, if we are, as intended, in this house for the next 20 years, then at some point I'll be able to replace the cooker with a stainless steel range, and put the self closing doors I want onto the kitchen cupboards. So I have now accepted that I do love this house.

Btw - did you go through Savills? And if so what are they charging you? We were offered 0.3% , with a further reduction to 0.2% if we take life insurance through them - their quote wasn't teh very best in the market, but the lower commision makes it cheaper to do it all through them

ks Fri 04-Mar-05 18:23:06

Message withdrawn

ks Fri 04-Mar-05 18:24:07

Message withdrawn

lou33 Fri 04-Mar-05 18:25:01

waves at ks!

iota Fri 04-Mar-05 18:26:45

have a large Napolean brandy and buy the house - you can always sell it again if you change your mind

iota Fri 04-Mar-05 18:27:50

duh - Napoleon

vkr Fri 04-Mar-05 18:29:47

knew from the details that it was the one - dh agreed once he had seen around it - ks please stay local !!

ks Fri 04-Mar-05 18:30:05

Message withdrawn

Mirage Fri 04-Mar-05 19:12:05

The moment I stepped through the door of this house-I knew it was the one for us.We have been very happy here for nearly 9 years.I do remember panicking at the thought of spending £45,000 on a house.It seemed such a huge amount at the time.

After 3 years of looking,we found our dream house yesterday & had an offer accepted on it.Again,the minute I walked in,I could see myself living there.Dh came back with me later & agreed before he'd even seen everything.It seems too good to be true that we have found everything we want after so long -on Monday we had no intention of moving,by last night we had agreed a deal & the house is off the market.I keep expecting something to go horribly wrong now,so I know what you mean about feeling superstitious.

Fran1 Fri 04-Mar-05 19:21:26

Our first home was only the third we viewed, and we knew immediately and put an offer in that afternoon, and it was perfect for the four years we lived there, (then dd came along and we outgrew it!)

The house we are in now, i loved the area and felt the house had potential and we had been looking a long time so although it wasn't perfect we felt it was good enough. We made several viewings before putting an offer in then got out bidded. From that day on i searched and searched for a house better than the one we had lost, but didn't find it, until the one we had lost came back on the market cos the buyer's dropped out. We jumped at the chance. But as the days led up to moving in we were both nervous. The reason for this is it was a dump!! we have had to start from scratch re-wiring, heating, new kitchen/bathroom, plastering and decoration!!
A year on we are half way through the project and extremely glad we made the decision. But its hard work with a two year old!

CountessDracula Fri 04-Mar-05 19:25:04

ks is this the one from before? With the big garden?

pls email me the details and will advise!

serenequeen Fri 04-Mar-05 19:27:11

omg yes! not so much the house itself, but the bigger mortgage, the skinflint vendors who took the bath and shed and made the txn more miserable than it needed to be, finding out there were problems in the survey, the area, backing on to a huge estate, getting to four weeks before my due date before exchanging contracts...

we kept on with it though because i really loved the house and eight months later i'm thrilled we stuck with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now