Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is OK to leave plasterers alone in house when I'm not there?

(17 Posts)
thehouseofmirth Tue 07-Oct-08 21:40:04

We're having our bedroom replastered and to minimise the distruption and general yuckiness I've booked them to start when we are going to MIL's for a long weekend. They came through a recommendation from someone from my NCT class and they are also on Checkatrade so they're not cowboys but just wondered is it Ok to do this and do I need to inform my insurers?

sunshine185 Wed 08-Oct-08 06:08:02

personally i wouldn't leave them, i'm a pessimist and anything could happen if not now later down the line.... it only takes one dodgy person ££ focused, cowboy or not...

could you have a friend or neighbour pop in to let them in then check on them during the day?

Flightattendent Wed 08-Oct-08 06:32:55

Hmm. I'd want to meet them first really and get to know them a little bit. I mean they're probably fine but you want to make sure they know where everything is, what you want doing, all that kind of stuff - I'd never risk it personally.

Insurance is also likely to be at risk of anything does go wrong, I'd imagine.

Fwiw I knew a decorator that would often work when people were out and spend a lot of that time drinking beer and having sex... hmm

sunshine185 Wed 08-Oct-08 06:44:29

agree! many many moons ago i met this painter who only ever called me from random land lines to chat telling me it was okay as he was alone! hmmmmm

tigermoth Wed 08-Oct-08 07:05:28

We did go on holiday for a week while our bedroom was being redecorated, but that was via an insurance claim and the decorating was arranged for us via the insurer - we did not choose the decorating company.

If I was in your situation, however, I think I'd be extra careful. Can you lock all your valuables and personal stuff away and lock most of the other rooms?

Flightattendent Wed 08-Oct-08 07:53:59

Sunshine...I wonder if it was the same one...grin?!

Was he about 5ft8 and into motorbikes?

sagacious Wed 08-Oct-08 08:01:39

We're having wooden flooring ripped up and new stuff relaid (insurance job but original fitters are doing the job)

It will take 4 days.
Am going to carry on with my normal stuff (gym/meetings/coffee etc) as I really can't face having to stay in for the whole time.

Do WOHM/WOHD take leave to supervise workmen?
When I worked I never did.

Personally if they get their jollies rooting through my knicker drawer good luck to 'em .. have artfully arranged the saucy clean stuff on the top.. what I don't know won't harm me blush

MadameCastafiore Wed 08-Oct-08 08:02:55

No I wouldn't - we had £2k go missing last summer after leaving builders in our house and as we had given them keys couldn't claim on insurance and as there were more than 1 of them the police couldn't prove who took it!

DH was a dick for leaving 2k in cash here but he presumed they were honest!

SpandexIsMyEnemy Wed 08-Oct-08 08:04:29

think it depends on how you feel about the builder TBH.

DB is a plasterer and won't do anything other than what he's there for - esp if there's no one in, and he'll stop about until they're back as well

uncle is a plumber and it's the same for him.

on the other hand, friends husband is a builder and he would go thru the food cupboards help himself to a bowl of something and sit watching telly!

mumoverseas Wed 08-Oct-08 08:20:57

We've just had a loft conversion completed over the summer, between the beginning of July and the end of August. there was no way I could stay at home the whole time so I was often out when the carpenters/plasterers/electrician and decorators were there. In fact, we went to the states for 2 1/2 weeks whilst the carpenters were there and had no issues. At the end of the day, if they are decent people and decent tradesmen, it is more than their job is worth to get up to no good as its obvious if anything goes wrong/missing it is down to them. Presumably there would only be 1 or 2 people and if they are recommended and you have proper contact details for them (and an address of their home or office) then I wouldn't worry.

mumoverseas Wed 08-Oct-08 08:21:28

p.s. they went through a lot of tea bags though!

thehouseofmirth Wed 08-Oct-08 09:47:05

I have met him, he's been roudnto look at the job and give me a quote. He's been recommended by someone and has 10/10 ratings on Checkatrade. It's up to him if he wants to watch TV all day as I've agreed a fixed price with him so it'll cost him money, not me if he takes a long time. We are ttally skint so ther's not relaly anything to nick though i think I'll ring our insurers and inform them/ask thir advice. It coan't be uncommon to leave tradsemen in your house though can it? I mean peole go on holiday (like mumoverseas) fr weeks ot avoid the disruption work causes. Isuppose the only real issue is them haveing keys adn I guess I coudl get round that my asking a neighbour to let him in.

I don't hvaen an address mumoverseas, that is a good point. I do need the quote in writing so I can get that on headed paper then I'll have the address.

And if they do rifle through my knicker drawer then hopefully they'll leave it a lot tidier than it is now!

anniemac Wed 08-Oct-08 10:12:43

Message withdrawn

thehouseofmirth Wed 08-Oct-08 14:25:25

Sorry, have just read catalogue of apalling typos in previous post!

IfYouDidntLaughYoudCry Wed 08-Oct-08 15:38:22

My DP used to work full-time as a plasterer and wouldn't dream of doing anything other than the job he's there but I always wonder how comfortable his customers feel when he's on his own in the house. I mean, they don't know him, but yes, most tradesmen rely on word of mouth for work so wouldn't want to risk that.

littlestrawberry Thu 09-Oct-08 02:33:24

We had a big extension and new kitchen last year. They started in March finished in July. No choice but to leave them to it. I work part time nights so was around quite a bit but less so when the builders were there because no kitchen or dining room.

I've never felt the need to stay in TBH, it would drive me nuts. Much rather bugger off and let them get on with it.

LadyOfWaffleIsScaryEnough Thu 09-Oct-08 02:44:00

I leave my workmen but my mum has known them for years and are utterly trustworthy. I just give them a key and let them get on with it! Really up to you I guess, get to know them abit first maybe if you can?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now