Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

So, for the first time ever, I have a small amount to save.. and all the banks are going belly up!!

(18 Posts)
lulumama Tue 07-Oct-08 18:58:52

what to do?

have had a recommendation off noddyholder..thank you !, but wondering what anyone else thinks..

premium bonds?

post office?

cash the cheque and hide the money under the mattress??

LadyOfWaffle Tue 07-Oct-08 18:59:34

Premium bonds is what I would do.

lulumama Tue 07-Oct-08 19:02:46

thank you smile

NH recommended national savings or nationwide

am thinking i will put some in premium bonds and some in a regular savings account

i hvae used an IFA for mortgage etc.. can he advise re this ?

lulumama Wed 08-Oct-08 19:13:15

anyone else? can i buy premium bonds at the post office.. >

<<clueless>>

noddyholder Wed 08-Oct-08 19:14:21

premium bonds are a good idea or national savings

ilove Wed 08-Oct-08 19:15:10

Yes you can buy them at the PO

differentWitch Wed 08-Oct-08 19:17:33

Combination of ns&i and premium bonds. That's what we have.

CarGirl Wed 08-Oct-08 19:19:34

Do you have a mortgage? If so can you make overpayments without penalty? I would recommend that you will save more on interest not being charged than you can earn interest else where.

lulumama Wed 08-Oct-08 20:11:06

oh yes we certainly have a mortgage grin

it is not a significant enough amount to really overpay .

i think some premium bonds and national savings..

can i just go to the local PO or does it have to be a main branch?

thakn you everyone

dinny Wed 08-Oct-08 20:12:45

does anyone ever win on PBs? the kids and I have about 3k between us and have one £50 about once, annoyingly

CarGirl Wed 08-Oct-08 20:14:07

We just overpay what we can each month - sometimes £50, sometimes more (thank you ebay) we can pay off £500 per month without penalty and get the money back out again if we ever need it and in the meantime save lots on interest. We ask for a reduction in the term of the mortgage but you can ask for a reduction in the amount to pay each month (saving that for when we are broke!)

Spatz Wed 08-Oct-08 20:16:04

I'm a big fan of premium bonds - we do win prizes because we have quite alot and they are safe and on average give us as much interest as a building society. And one day I will win a million!

RubySlippers Wed 08-Oct-08 20:16:41

lulu - your DN has won twice!!!

dinny Wed 08-Oct-08 20:18:11

just noticed my typo - what is wrong with me today??

Overmydeadbody Wed 08-Oct-08 20:20:23

If you actually want to make any money on it then invest it in wine <taps nose>

lulumama Wed 08-Oct-08 20:20:36

thanks cargirl, we have just swopped to a new mortgage so will speak to them tomorrow.

yes, ruby, lucky DN!

thanks dinny and spatz

i think i am convinced now.. premium bonds and a nice safe savings account for the rest!

ta x

DaisySteiner Wed 08-Oct-08 20:34:03

Premium bonds are really not a good idea IMHO if you're actually wanting to make some interest on your savings - you'd almost certainly be much better paying it off your mortgage than putting in premium bonds. Have a look here

I would speak to your financial advisor because what is the best thing to do with it will really depend on what you plan to do with it in the long term. Don't forget that you need to earn around 6% interest (iirc) to take into account the tax you pay on the interest and inflation.

If you want a long term investment then a shares ISA might be worth considering as the stock market is so low at the moment.

lulumama Wed 08-Oct-08 20:40:59

thanks, daisy , did not know if IFA would be able to advise re this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now