Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone here, or their DH/DP work in a bank and can explain debit card payments to me

(12 Posts)
saltire Sun 05-Oct-08 16:16:36

becasue I'm confusedhmm
Last Monday (29th sept) I apid for the road tax with my debit card at a Post Office. Today it still hasn't left the account and according to teh bank isn't even "pending".
Yet yesterday I made 2 payments in Asda with teh same card, and they are pending in teh account and the amount is unavailiable. Why7 is the road tax one not off yet?

WendyWeber Sun 05-Oct-08 16:32:58

Are you sure you used your debit card? Whenever I pay for Road Tax that way it comes off the next day (or even the same day)

Maybe they've let you have it as a present smile

saltire Sun 05-Oct-08 16:35:01

I only have a debit card, no credit card. I can't understand it either as every other debit card payment is either pending or has came out the account next day!

Simplysally Sun 05-Oct-08 16:36:57

Perhaps it takes longer for the PO to process it?

Toothache Sun 05-Oct-08 16:40:26

It depends what system the PO has. Some check your account there and then... others takes up to 3 working days.

This is something that will be fixed when all the banks get their "faster payments" scheme up and running.

However, 29 was Monday and even the slowest systems would have processed it by now!

snigger Sun 05-Oct-08 16:45:15

I've had some debit card payments, eg pay at pump fuel etc, take up to a week to process.

nannyL Sun 05-Oct-08 19:04:55

i had a petrol payment not show up for 7 weeks...
it missed the current statement... and the next statement...

by which time i assumed i had got £50 of petrol free grin
.... and then it magically appeard (with the carooect date of the transaction) and i had to pay it sad

mygirllollipop Sun 05-Oct-08 21:55:55

My mam had money come out of her account in July for petrol that she put on her card in December! They have around 2 yrs to take the money out of your account.

CHOOGIRL Sun 05-Oct-08 22:27:42

I work in FS. Did you put debit card payment through by machine or just fill in the application form? If electronic then usually 2-3 days> If paper version then it depends when the beneficiary puts the payment through.

Mygirllollipop - they do not have 2 yrs to take the money. Payments are usually thought to be out of date within 6 months and will be returned.

saltire Mon 06-Oct-08 15:18:43

It was a machine,I ahnded over the form,a dn MOT etc, he told me the price, I put the card in teh machine, entered my PIN number, it said "please remove card" and I got a recepit showing the amount paid. Its still not out, or pending today

CHOOGIRL Mon 06-Oct-08 23:28:30

Then I think there is a problem. Double check your statement to check that it hasn't gone out in another name - eg Post Office Counters rather than DVLA or POCL and then query with the PO. Also the bank will be able to tell whether they have authorised an EFTPOS (electronic transfaction at point of sale) transaction on that date.

saltire Tue 07-Oct-08 16:02:49

It definately hasn't gone out, today iw ent into bank and they went through every transaction since the 27th Sepptember, and it's not there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now