Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is it a good idea to buy shares in HBOS just now?

(5 Posts)
mumhadenough Fri 03-Oct-08 20:29:41

If I bought just now, only about £1000, as a long term investment, do you think it would be worth it.

I know the share price is pretty low just now and as long as the merger goes ahead the share price should recover when the economy recovers, yes?

I am a total newbie to the share thing. All advice greatly appreciated.

DaisySteiner Sat 04-Oct-08 09:18:14

If the merger goes ahead though the shares will just be bought by LloydsTSB (or whoever) and for a fraction of the price they would have cost a few months ago. Personally I think it would be very risky.

It is a good time to invest in shares generally though, but spread out to minimise the risk from any one company. I'd be drip feeding money into a share ISA personally (actually I'm not, but I think I should!).

CHOOGIRL Sat 04-Oct-08 22:57:45

There are better banks to buy shares in. HBOS ones will disappear if purchased by LTSB, so they will turn into LTSB shares and in the long term should do Ok if you include dividends as well as share price appreciation. £1000 would be better off in high interest savings account, or ISA (tax efficient). Alternatively Premium Bonds - you don't get interest but you could win £1m!

PeaMcLean Sat 04-Oct-08 23:03:00

HBOS shares have gone back up again haven't they? (relatively anyway)n There are lots of poeple thinking the way you are. Agree with Daisy - good time to buy shares as a long term investment but always a risk in case company goes bump. Spread risk.

mumhadenough Mon 06-Oct-08 22:37:42

Thanks everyone for your advice. Going to have a look at the latest share prices and see if we can spread it around a bit with some sensible buys.

C x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now