Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Noise nuisance from HA houses.What can I do?

(8 Posts)
Mirage Wed 02-Mar-05 08:19:02

About 9 months ago,a local housing association built some house & flats in the street that backs on to us.From the moment they were occupied,we had loud music every Friday/Saturday night until the early hours.Conidering that we live half way up the next st & it keeps us awake,it must be hell for anyone living closer.

Last night,the music was pounding until gone 2.30am & it was evidently coming from those houses,but it is hard to see exactly which one it is.

Do the HA have a responsibility to prevent their tenants/part ownership occupants causing problems?I am tempted to ring them,but am worried about giving my details in case of reprisals.

Any advice anyone?

misdee Wed 02-Mar-05 08:21:10

they do have an obligation to keep tenants from making a nuisnece of them selves. complain to the HA, they should keep your details confidential

Kelly1978 Wed 02-Mar-05 08:24:14

I tink you can try calling the council, the police advised us to when the HA properties near us were having loud street parties all night.

Mirage Wed 02-Mar-05 13:33:21

Thanks,I have rung the HA & they say that they own the flats there,but not the houses.It is the houses where the noise is coming from.I was going to ring the council,but we are about to put our house up for sale,so don't know what to do.I know the estate agents ask you to declare any disputes with neighbours-which I haven't had any,my neighbours are lovely,but would this count as a dispute,as these people don't even live near me?Also,what do I do if asked if the area is quiet by prospective buyers? It is quiet apart from this,but if I lie,surely they will have come back on me?

Ohhhh,I'm so peed off with these inconsiderate people.

jangly Wed 02-Mar-05 13:46:16

If you weren't moving soon I would definitely say ring your local council as I believe they are duty bound to investigate a case like this. But as you are putting your house on the market, I don't think it would be worth the hassle tbh. I don't believe anybody would say "the houses at the back of us play loud music into the night" to prospective buyers when asked if the area is quiet. I think it would be up to them to look at the surrounding area and judge for themselves.

sacha3taylor Wed 02-Mar-05 13:47:39

I line in a HA flat and we also have problems with our neighbours. We live directly under the problem flat and find it very awkward to know what to do! I am very friendly (most of the time) with the family and this makes it even worse. The only time they play their music is when they come home with their friends at 2.30 in the morning and are all drunk. They are always very appologetic but it doesn't stop them doing it again.I have shouted and screamed and tried explaining quietly that it is not acceptable behaviour but they seem to think that as it is not every night anymore(it used to be untill they were thretened with eviction) then it doesn't matter. By moaning all the time I feel like they just think "oh it's only her beeing a wingey old cow" But I dont understand how everyone else puts up with it. I am at the end of my tether with it. I just wanted you to know that you are not the only one in this situation and it is very difficult to have anything done about it. Best of luck

Mirage Wed 02-Mar-05 19:18:16

Well it turns out that I was casting aspertions in the wrong direction.The noise was actually coming from next door but one.Apparently the couple living there have a teenage son & when they work nightshifts,he gets all his mates round & parties all night.

My next door neighbour who has the misfortune to live next to them,says it happens frequently & was shocked that I could hear it too,because these are big,solidly built houses.She has had enough & is going to complain to his parents if it happens again - she has called the police before when they were fighting outside her house,but no one turned up.

I rang the council & they said that if I report it officially,a letter will be sent,stating that a nuisance is being caused & to desist.They would need my details,but wouldn't tell the people to whom the letter is sent,who complained.

I will wait & see what happens-at least now I know where the problem is & what to do.

Thanks again for the help & sympathy.

Tortington Wed 02-Mar-05 23:58:04

for future reference all councils have an environmental health department and they will come and measure the noise. this is what any HA will ask you to do. if anti social behaviour continues you can always ask the HA for diary sheets to keep a record - which they can use in court. they will keep your details confidential if asked to do so - however this is the catch 22 - as if it gets to court court are unlikley to conclude any breach of tenancy unless there is sufficient evidence - including witnesses. this whole process takes months and months

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: