Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bailiffs visit, not my debt, help!!!!

(6 Posts)
sillybillybee Thu 02-Oct-08 18:20:25

I'm hoping someone on here can help me. This afternoon I was upstairs cleaning when I thought I heard someone post something through the front door, came down to do the school run and there was a 'hand delivered' marked envelope with only the address showing. Obviously I opened it and it is a baliffs notice of attendance. It is not my name on it and I haven't a clue who it is (lived here 5 yrs and don't remember seeing the name on anything for past owners). The number to call is 0871 number and I cannot afford to phone an expensive number. I think I have found which court all this is from, if i phone them will they help?

fedupandisolated Thu 02-Oct-08 18:21:56

Yes - ring the court but NOT any 0871 number in case it's a scam.

PeaMcLean Thu 02-Oct-08 18:24:52

Sounds very odd to have a premium rate number for people who are in debt. Certainly I'd start with the court - at least they should be able to point you in the right direction.

sillybillybee Thu 02-Oct-08 18:49:42

Thanks both, I think its very stupid to have that number but thats the only one on the 'notice' and on their website. Am worrying because I'm here alone all the time (or out). I will ring the court which is hopefully the right one first thing in the morning.

fedupandisolated Thu 02-Oct-08 18:51:50

At the end of the day SBB the debt is NOT yours. Don't open the door if they come back and definitely do not invite them in.

mumoverseas Thu 02-Oct-08 18:55:11

yes, definitely don't allow them in as once you've done that, they then have the right to enter again without your permission and potentially could seize goods. They often won't listen at the time if you say it is not your debt so you really should try phoning if you can. If there is an address, you should write to them too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: