Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Should I close my child's account with the Halifax?

(7 Posts)
DungunGirl Wed 01-Oct-08 09:52:47

Hi there

With Halifax's share price continuing to fall and Lloyds TSB also reporting falling share prices, should I be closing my childs savings account and moving the savings elsewhere for safety?

There isn't loads, about £5000 but that is all towards my childs future and I am not prepared for it to dissappear if the bank goes under.

Is there someone who is financially savy who can advise whether I should take out the money?

BlingLovin Wed 01-Oct-08 09:55:09

No, don't move it. Halifax/Lloyds are unlikely to collapse. More importantly, your money is guaranteed by the government up to £35000.

mumoverseas Wed 01-Oct-08 12:18:14

No, I wouldn't move it. Like BlingLovin says, money is guaranteed up to £35K. My three kids have accounts with Halifax (as do DH and I including Isa) however after briefly considering it, we decided to leave it where it is. Remember all the panic earlier in the year/last year with Northern Rock and everyone queuing up to take their money out? Anyway, with regards to kids, I researched kids accounts a few months ago as my son has quite a bit in his savings account and at that time, it really was the best rate available for kids (think it was 5.5%) although that may have changed now. Try not to worry.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 01-Oct-08 12:22:12

no for the reasons already listed smile

DungunGirl Wed 01-Oct-08 12:54:29

Thanks ladies. Makes me feel better that other people feel it should be safe.

Yeah I really don't want to move it as I have got that 10% interest account which was a gem to get.

Don't know whether it still is 10% but hey...it is good anyway.

Thanks again!

ruddynorah Wed 01-Oct-08 12:57:54

yes it's still 10% as it was a fixed rate account. i assume you mean the 1 year regular saver?

Quattrocento Wed 01-Oct-08 13:01:09

No. Am in the same position and have decided not to move it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now